News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56+ transmission

Started by Doug 22747, December 03, 2011, 06:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug 22747

I saw in an article in the Self Starter something I've seen before, that the re-engineering of the 56 trans was problematic.  My experience included a '52 which leaked but worked well, same with a 60 model, but my 63 eventually needed a rebuild.  Any info/thoughts?   
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

Glen

My parents both had 56 sedan DeVilles, I had a 61 Coupe Deville and a co-worker had a 58 Coupe (I think).  All four of those cars had to have transmission overhauls because the washer/spacer between the two halves of the front torus members wore down and allowed the fins to collide with each other.  Dad did the overhaul on the 56s and I did the overhaul on my 61.  I’m not sure who did the co-worker's 58. 

New front torus and washer/spacer, clean everything well, new seals and clutches (in there anyway might as well) and all was well.  I think this was a manufacturing problem as once they were repaired the problem did not reoccur to my knowledge. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104