News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Texas Cadillac dealer destruction of a 1953 caddie

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, December 05, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.R. Patton II

Hello Enthusiasts

Tomorrow I will contact this dealership to inform them that I will pay for their membership in our Cadillac LaSalle Club. That is the penalty of leadership.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

C.R. Patton II

Hello

Rubye Musser has the situation under control.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Brian Daum

Now that really made me sick - someone should report this to GM Central Headquarters...unbelievable!!
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1998 Cadillac DeVille d`Elegance

Series75

maybe if a handfull of us donate our cars to this dealer, he might find some respect for these great cars.  I'll be the last guy in that line.    Tom CLC# 6866

GBrown #8092

I actually did communicate with them on this. They said the car was not nearly as nice as it looks in the pictures but held paint well. I'll post the response when I can find it in my e-mail

TMoore - NTCLC

Actually, Frank Kent Cadillac is a great supporter of our Club, and this event was attended by several members of our Regional club.  As mentioned, the carcass was most definitely a "beater", and our own regional president (and several members) had the honor of autographing the car.

Frank Kent hosts our annual "Trunks for Tots" toy drive, where we fill up our trunks with toys and meet at the Frank Kent dealership for an all day event to donate the toys and show off our cars, meet interested people, and sign up new members to the Cadillac LaSalle Club.  They are also regular supporters of our newsletter, and their used car department is known to sell some fine examples of classic Cadillacs, side-by-side with their newer inventory.

Yes, the stunt was a bit unconventional, but it did get press and that is what it was all about

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: TMoore - NTCLC on December 14, 2011, 12:57:33 PM
Actually, Frank Kent Cadillac is a great supporter of our Club, and this event was attended by several members of our Regional club.  As mentioned, the carcass was most definitely a "beater", and our own regional president (and several members) had the honor of autographing the car.\

Wow...with friends like that...etc. :o

Unbelievable :(.  Yeah, great press...worked on me...made sure to contact my relatives in the DFW area and I'm sure they'll never visit the dealer...and spread the word.  Seriously on the autographs   ??? ???  No need to explain "beater"...you can make your own judgement call if any salvageable parts.  Even if not many parts, gives the impression was an OK car to destroy. 
Yeah, let them keep singing the tune that any press is good press...Not  ::)

Suprised nothing in the fine print of GM dealership contract that allows the negative PR.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

leedlast

Is this the best stunt these morons could think of? This lack of creativity would get most ad agencies fired. Not very much creativity to copy a stunt straight out of Myth Busters or the Jackass movies. And then the dealership owners who OKd this lunacy should also be fired then bury them with their sorry asses sticking out of the ground. For showing disrespect to the world reknown product that produced their success, these fools should have their Cadillac franchise revoked.
Ed Leed CLC #26541

Glen

Maybe it’s something in the water if the CLC region goes along with this stupidity. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Davidinhartford

Actually, Frank Kent Cadillac is a great supporter of our Club, and this event was attended by several members of our Regional club.  As mentioned, the carcass was most definitely a "beater", and our own regional president (and several members) had the honor of autographing the car.

Frank Kent hosts our annual "Trunks for Tots" toy drive, where we fill up our trunks with toys and meet at the Frank Kent dealership for an all day event to donate the toys and show off our cars, meet interested people, and sign up new members to the Cadillac LaSalle Club.  They are also regular supporters of our newsletter, and their used car department is known to sell some fine examples of classic Cadillacs, side-by-side with their newer inventory.

Yes, the stunt was a bit unconventional, but it did get press and that is what it was all about

I am shocked that any CLC member would attend when they heard what the event was going to include.      Beater or not, it is the symbolic destruction of the "past" that disgraces everything the hobby stands for.   

If they wanted real publicity they should have dropped a new Lincoln or Lexus and "smash" the competition.

Series75

Here! Here!   Enough with defending this poor marketeer, offering to pay for his Membership, attending his events?   Boycot the dealership, demand an apology, or cancel his membership is the other side of the coin.  Tom CLC#6866

Davidinhartford

this event was attended by several members of our Regional club.   ...  and our own regional president (and several members) had the honor of autographing the car.

Honor?         :o

76eldo

I was going to watch the video again but it was taken down. 

This was a dumb idea.  I am assuming that someone thought that this would be a clever stunt to generate some press and it probably got them on the local news.

Actually, dropping a 1953 Cadillac from a crane and smashing it on the ground was as dumb as it sounds in the preceding sentence.

Actually getting a few 1953 Cadillac owners to display their cars during a groundbreaking might have generated a more positive vibe.  I am sure the person that came up with the idea is not getting a very big Christmas bonus this year...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rob Troxel

Here is a copy of their response to my note expressing extreme displeasure for their stunt.  My issue is that the video reminds a casual viewer that the message is>>US production of great cars has crashed. What do you think?_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting us today.  I see that you are upset about our ground breaking ceremony. How can I be of assistance to you?  Could I answer any questions that you may have about the vehicle that was used? 

Would you like me to possibly clarify and correct the information that you no doubt saw on your favorite website? You might like to know that the 1953 Cadillac used in our ground breaking was specifically selected because of its poor condition.  The vehicle had no interior, and what was there had been removed along with the engine, transmission (both of which will need to be completely over hauled),  rear bumper and the "goddess" on the hood (the only good chrome).  Those items will be used in project vehicles and will continue to live on.  While the pictures and video may depict a pristine example, I assure you that this car was far from that. 

The remains of the Cadillac will be turned into an art installation and will be an integral part of our new facility.  As a work of art, this Cadillac that was destined for the crusher or a fate of negligent death by the slow erosion by rust, will live on for people to see for decades to come. 

I hope that I have been able to clarify some things and perhaps bring some closure to this topic.  Thank you again for taking time out of your day to contact us.  Happy Holidays!   

Have a great day today!

Sincerely,

Bill Engelhardt
Internet Sales Consultant
Frank Kent Cadillac
3800 Southwest Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76116
(817) 989-4400

Chuck Swanson

Reminds me of someone telling a joke, and then having to explain the punchline...bad joke....bad stunt, even if in their opinion, not many parts worth saving.   

I could see if this was done by "Mythbusters" show or something...still would be unhappy, but a Cadillac dealer  ???...and CLC members participating  :(

Feel free to voice your displeasure by calling Cadillac at 1-800-458-8006.  (A newer Cadillac VIN will speed up call).  Press 0 for operator and they will be happy to take your complaint on Kent Cadillac. 

Hoping some sort of negative PR clause in dealer contracts !! ;D
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Jeff Maltby 4194

Right click your mouse to get full views of pictures.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

and the winner is ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Rick Payton

People are you kidding me.... Frank Kent Cadillac is a wonderful supporter of Texas clubs.  I am floored at the attitudes and things that have been said about a great company!   I hope this thread is removed!!
Rick Payton - President- US Distribution
WWW.FLATJACK.COM

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1955 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1955 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham #590
1959 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1964 Corvette Stingray
1967 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
2006 Cadillac XLR