News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LENS GASKET

Started by Chasmann, December 08, 2011, 03:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasmann

49 SERIES 62.GUYS I COULD USE YOUR HELP ONCE AGAIN.TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A GASKET THAT GOES AROUND  THE FRONT TURN SIGNAL/PARKING LIGHT HOUSING .I ORDERED WHAT I THOUGHT WOULD BE ONE FROM USA  IT WAS ADVERTISED AS LAMP TO BODY SEAL.WHEN IT ARRIVED ITWAS FOR FOR THE BACK PLATE WHERE IT ATTACHES TO THE HOUSING OF THE LIGHT NOT FOR THE FRONT THAT ATTACHES AROUND THE HOUSING.NO LUCK AT MCVEYS,USA,STEELE .THANKS CHARLIE
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

Caddy Wizard

Charlie,

That gasket is not available.  You have to take some foam weather strip with a sticky back and lay it all around in there.  I bought mine at Home Depot.  I think it was about 1/2 inch thick by about 3/4 inch wide.

I talked to Steele a couple of times about making that part, but they never have done so.  I too ordered the wrong thing at least once.  I chased this part like a holy grail for a year or more before giving up.

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Chasmann

Hey Art once again thanks for responding. Thats exactly what I found when I took out the housing and I said whats all this stuff it looks like someone tried to make a gasket. Ok now I know what Im up against.
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

The Tassie Devil(le)

Aren't these Gaskets originally made of Cork?

If so, just get a sheet of cork and with a scalpel, carefully cut out the shape you need.

But, I do like the sticky-back foam method.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chasmann

Hey Bruce. I really don't know what it was made of. When i took mine out it was a sticky substance what a mess.I would like to put it back the right way if possible if not I will have to make something. Thanks Charlie

Jeff Maltby 4194

Mine are near mint. Post pic soon.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Richardonly

Hello,

On my 1948, the gasket between the turn signal housing and body is made of black rubber which "appears" to be original.  It is perfectly shaped and cut, so is this factory of someone really skillfull?

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle