News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Door hinge lube

Started by R Sotardi #11719, December 08, 2011, 10:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Sotardi #11719

This may seem trivial, but on my 50  6219 the driver door hinge squeaks a bit. I went to lube it a bit, but there is no oil hole in either the upper or lower hinges. Has any one drilled a small hole in the  center  of the hinge, so that I can squirt o bit of oil  into the pins? Ron

Antoni Deighton

The service manuals for my 67 and 78 both recommend using white grease to lubricate the door hinges. I can look up what it's called exactly. Anyway, it's pretty sticky stuff, so you have to clean out the accumulated dirt and grime, then brush the stuff all over the hinges. It's recommended as part of the annual inspection/service, and it works very well at quieting squeaks.
HTH,
Antoni
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

thevinylking69

Its called white lithium grease, you can get it in a spray can at your local auto parts store. I just used it for the doors and windows on my '73 Coupe DeVille and it did the job wonderfully, it sticks to whatever you spray it to though I'd highly recommend wearing gloves while using the stuff.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

Antoni Deighton

That's it, Chuck!
Funny, my service manual insisted on only using the stuff in the tube, or brushing it on. A spray would be much easier. I think a reapplication is probably due this coming weekend!
A.
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

The Tassie Devil(le)

What I use comes in a tube, and is called Dri-Lube I think.

Just rub it on, and work the door a few times, and you are good to go.

I think I got my "Stick" about 35 years ago, and there is still enough left for another decade or more.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gary griffin

I like spray can silicon lube for about everything thay dosent have a zerk fitting. Beats WD 40 by a mile.  WD 40 was designed to displace water in sumps of military silos (Water Displacement formula 40 by Dupont) and is a fair lubricant but is basically heavier than water petroleum,

White Lithium is my favorite where pasty lubricants are called for and then zerk applied lubriacnts beyond that.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

R Sotardi #11719

None of the pin is exposed and the fit is to tight to shoot between the pin retainer sleeve. The top of the pin is like a nail head  and flush with the latch, so any lube will not get into the pin from the top. I thought about taping the pin up a bit with a punch, then spray some oil then tap it down again, but there is no clearance on the bottom hinge.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Try bicycle chain lube in a spray can.  It is thin like Brake Cleaner but evaporates leaving a film.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo