News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recommended Tyre pressures for a 1976 Eldorado

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), December 11, 2011, 07:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

Would appreciate it if one of you fine people could advise me of the correct factory recommendation inflation pressure for the LR78x15 tyres on a 1976 Eldorado.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

I have attached the sticker from the inside of my glovebox.

It has a listing for the car loaded and not loaded.

I am running 235 70 15 Firestone Radials, 721's with the proper whitewall and keep them at 28 lbs front and rear.

If you are going on a long trip I guess you could go to 32 to get another mile or two per gallon, but mine seems to ride just fine @ 28 all around.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

EAM 17806

On my 1976 Coupe de Ville the sticker on the glove compartment door reads as follows: Up to 5 occupants front and rear tires should be 23 lbs,  for vehicle capacity front 24 lbs and rear 28 lbs. The tire size equivalent to the former LR78 X 15 for this model is 235 X 75 X 15. I would think 28 lbs front and  rear should be good.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

76eldo

I made an error on the size.  Mine are 75 series, not 70.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

dino

For what it's worth I use to run 30 psi in 235 x75x15s on my 56 and my 60. An old time tire store owner suggested I try running 35 or 36 psi because the cars are so heavy.   I tried it and I'll be damned if the ride doesn't feel much better.  Try it,  air is free..
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

TJ Hopland

I run my 73 convert with radials at 30 on all 4.  I messed with other pressures.  Higher does seem to make the handling feel a bit better but sure makes for a bumpy ride.  Lower just makes the handling get really mushy without improving the ride.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks for all the information.

When I read the recommended pressures for the '72 Eldo, I always think there is a misprint.

The rear pressure of 17 PSI seems to me to be so low that it had to be wrong, and allowing for a 4 PSI addition for Radials still is too low for safe driving.

The reason I wanted the pressures for '76 is that this is the first year with Factory-fitted Radials on the Eldorado.   

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

62droptop

i run mine at 35 psi in my 62 conv,which is max pressure for the tire
i drive my car hard and fast
if i run the tires a bit softer , it rides marginally less harsh on the bumps but handles way worse
i dont mind the extra road feel for all the other benefits of gas mileage and handling
again i drive my car a lot on long trips so getting the most mpg is important to me
i put almost 200 miles on my car in the last two days

when i bought it, the tires looked fine,didnt check pressure,firestone 721 radials 
after a few hrs driving i decided to air up the tires and ran them up to 40psi hot(those tires were rated max load at 44psi) i picked up about 5 mpg for the rest of my trip home
do not know original pressure but can say the tires took a bit of air and did not change visually in appearance like one would if it were visibly low
the ride didn't really noticeably change either

you need to check the load rating on the tires on your car to see what they recommend
many cheaper tires have less load rating and must be run at higher pressure to keep tire from overheating,remember these cars weigh around 5000lbs or more
and proper load rating of the tire is crucial
remember the factory psi rating was for optimal ride quality,not necessarily best handling or mpg
if you test drove a new car that has 40 psi in the tires,you probably would pass saying the ride is too rough,but the same car wit 24 psi you would say,wow car rides smooth

i believe coker tire used to recommend running their 235'75 15 white walls at 35psi

you could probably run your tires at 50psi in your old caddy and still ride softer than many new cars with the low profile tires

remember the Ford explorer /firestone tire issue a few years back
ford recommended some ridiculous low pressure like 24 or 28psi for the tires
no wonder the tires failed, they overheated from under inflation
sure they rode softer and not like a truck,but how many people been killed because underinflated tires
i have used some of the supposed faulty tires on more than one occasion and have run them at a proper inflation and used them full loaded for many hard working miles and never had an issue with the tires

when a tire has been run low on air, from the outside all looks well
take the tire off the rim and look inside,it will tell you a completely different story as the inner liner will be destroyed making the tire a time bomb just waiting to explode

personally i never run any of my tires less than 32psi on any of my cars, from my old mini cooper,Cadillac,wife's new minivan etc

i have never had a tire blow out for no apparent reason
if you only drive your car to the local dairy queen or cruise night at 30 mph, tire pressure not going to be as big of an issue for you
but if you drive on the highway,inflate your tires closer to the maximum on your tire and you will really notice the handling and mpg benefits at really little ride quality, and be much safer doing it

The Tassie Devil(le)

Now that I have the "Factory" recommendations, I can now experiment further.

My '72 Eldo Coupe always drove very well, and handled like it was an ocean liner with the spirit of a sports car, but with the Convertible, the ride is reasonably harsh, but that is due to my upping the tyre pressures to suit my driving.

After I have replaced the engine following a Timing Set change, and a general de-grease of the engine compartment and replacing a torn CV Joint boot, I will do some further experimenting.   Nothing worse than Oil Leaks.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

G'Day Bruce,
I run 30-32 front and 28-30 rear in my '72 eldo, and have for the last 15 years running Michlein 235 x 75 R-15's.  Handling, performance, tire wear are all good.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-