News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Timing Light

Started by Tito Sobrinho, December 11, 2011, 12:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tito Sobrinho

Hi Fellows:

Where could I buy a 6 Volts timing light? Or, an adapter for my 12 Volts TL, so that it would be useful attached to my  6 Volts battery?
My old 12 Volts TL  is an all metal Equus, which I bought in 1972 but useless when dealing with a 6 Volts system.

Appreciate the answers.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Dan LeBlanc

Why not just hook to a 12V battery or battery charger independent of the car's battery?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on December 11, 2011, 02:58:00 PM
Why not just hook to a 12V battery or battery charger independent of the car's battery?
That is what I do, but they do make a self powered timing lite, expensive though.

76eldo

I have an old Craftsman/Penske timing light.  It works just fine on 6 volts.  Make sure you are connected to plus and neg, which are reversed on a 6 volt positive ground car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jim Stamper

I hookup to a 12volt battery too on my 6 volt cars.

Jim Stamper CLC#13470

Tito Sobrinho

Thanks for the answers.

Jim, Dan and Dave... I'm not a novice in the trade as I use to work in a garage during my college years but I'm tired of dragging a 12 Volt battery  around. As for the charger, it is like building a contraption every time.

Brian, I very much appreciate your offer...Thanks. You will get an email.
Tito S.

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

TJ Hopland

How about powering it off one of those little 'jump start' boxes?  They are inexpensive and handy to have around anyway.  Many models have jacks on them that could be used to run other 12v things in your 6v car.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

Is this something you do a lot ?
If its just one car, you shouldnt have to do it very often. Just pull up a car that has a 12 volt battery in it.
Roy

76eldo

Tito,

I wasn't offering to sell my timing light.  What I meant was that I have a timing light that works on 12 or 6 volt cars.

Try your timing light, but put the red lead on the ground, which should be the positive side.

brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

Now that you  mention it it does seem like I used one of my timing lights on a 6v system.    It was one of those things I didnt think about, I just grabbed it and hooked it up and it worked.  It was not till afterwards that I thought about it.   I suspect that many of the inductive lights are like many other electronics where they actually run on a much lower voltage internally so as long as the input voltage is above the system voltage they will work. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

Some 12v lites will work, although dimly and if you try and check total advance and bring the rpms up, they tend flicker badly.

Don Boshara #594

I have a Snap-on self powered timing light that was given to me that uses 2 D cells and works very well with 6 or 12 volts. Snap-on has them for $170. 
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

41caddy

TIMING IS ONLY DONE WIND THE COW COME HOME ANY WAY.OR WHEN YOU PUT ONE IN.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have one of those Timing Lights that simply go between the plug lead and the plug, and uses the vehicle's own High Tension Voltage to illuminate the "globe".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 12, 2011, 06:12:41 PM
I have one of those Timing Lights that simply go between the plug lead and the plug, and uses the vehicle's own High Tension Voltage to illuminate the "globe".             Bruce. >:D         

I have one of those too.  I stopped using it, because it "smeared" the reading.  That's
because it lights as long as the spark is decaying, not just at the desired beginning point.  Bruce Roe

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I use a 12 volt jump box. Very useful also for running a small air compressor.

Tito Sobrinho

Brian:

My '49 is negative ground. I think the '41 was the last year for the positive ground. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Tito.
Tito S.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Tito,

As the owner of over 100 old timing lights there are bunches of them still available. Do a search on eBay for SUN timing lights and Snap-On timing lights. The old SUN ones come in 6 volt or 6 and 12 volt. Snap On made a nice old one, 6/12 volt that does not care how you hook up the connections to the battery (Model #215B).

The SUN lights are brighter, but the Snap On lights are lighter.

Good Luck

John Washburn

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

pauldridge

I bought a self-powered (battery powered) timing light from Amazon:  Proform 67414 for just $60 including shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Proform-67414-Powered-Timing-Light/dp/B000A8FGPG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323833866&sr=8-2

I've used it many times, still on the first set of batteries.  A nice feature is it has a viewing light (i.e. doubles as a flashlight)

I needed a longer cord between the light itself and the spark sensor for my old Jaguar (#1 cylinder in the rear).. it was simple to splice an additional length of cable in between.

Very bright.  It is so handy I now rarely use any of my other 3 timing lights, including a couple with advance knob built in.

It is just so quick to pick it up, snap the sensor on #1 plug, and let it rip!
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500