News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1942 wiring routing

Started by gary griffin, December 11, 2011, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Hello, if you have seen my blog you know I am restoring a 1942 model 6719, and two others started the restoration and ended up quiting so I have a nice new wiring harness from Rhode Island wiring but since others removed my wiring from the car I have some qualms about instaling the harness correctly without a lot of experimentation.  I would assume all 40's Cadillac wireing routing was similar so any information would probably be helpfull.

I have been told that the body harness connects to the dash harness with the plug from my old harness which I have and I have been told they connect on the drivers side A pillar but how high?
I realised if I did not get it at the right height the wires would be too short on one end or the other. To me this is the most important place to begin.

Where dos the body wire harness go from there. I assume different wires come out at the correct locations for cabin lighting, cigar lighters, and so forth and then the balance somehow ends up in the trunk. It will be obvious which bunch goes to which tail light but the routing is in question here also as is the fuel guage wire and back up light wire.

Working forward from the A piller plug how does it all come together. I have purchased all of the recommended grommets for penetrating the sheet metal forward of the cabin but how to wire the dash and forward area are still in question. I am reasonably sure if I can get the harness secured in the correct locations the individual wire routing will become obvious.

Any pictoral, or diagramatical or written directions would be helpfull.

This is a couple  weeks away so I plan on accumulating all of the information I can prior to starting.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

Gary Griffin

253 838 9900

garygriffin@Q.com
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Maltby 4194

I sent my main dash harness "plug" to YNZ to be soldered on, as they have no reproductions. 

Sent them all my spares to assist someone else :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Bill Hamilton

Gary,

I installed a Rhode Island Wiring harnes in my 42 7523 about 3 years ago. My first suggestion would be to conrtact Rhode Island and ask them to send you their instruction sheet for the harness. I presme from your comments that you are rewiring the entire car. Rhode island does not supply new body plugs with their harnesses so it is necessary to unsolder the OEM plugs from the Main harness and the Body harness and resolder them to the replacements. The instructions show how to do this. The body plug is mounted in a small bracket under the left side of the dash on the left cowl wall. The body harness routes up the A-pillar and above the door openings. The main harness will wire everything mounted in the instrument panel and forward. There are separate harnesses for the headlights and turn signals/running lights. I know it looks like a big job, but if you take your time, it can be done. If you have any other questions, feel free to E-mail me.

Bill Hamilton, 16219
40 LaSalle
42 Cadillac