News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940s LA

Started by Quentin Hall, December 12, 2011, 07:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

Ok Ok. Last one. Check out the two hotrods and the guy waiving. Think I might get a shave and haircut and buy a forties suit tomorrow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-I2kLNwBak
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Richardonly

Loved the clips!  Thank you.
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

C.R. Patton II

Hello Quentin

I would like to have a tankard of gasoline from that era.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Andrew Armitage

Funny to see that almost no cars had wide whites on them.
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
1941 67 Series
1966 Fleetwood 75 Series
1985 Seville
1991 Eldorado

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I am always telling people that most of our thirties and forties cars when they were new did not have whitewalls. Mostly people look at me like I am crazy.

In these LA photos maybe 25% of the cars have whitewalls. In pictures of most eastern cities, I would guess that 10% have them.

Similarly, can recall when I was a child in the fifties that one very seldom saw a car with a continental kit. When I would see one at the time, it was unusual enough that I still remember them. Today at car shows, many, many cars have continental kits, including 4 door cars which would never had had them when new.

Spotlights are also seen way more often now than back in the day. At least where I grew up, spotlights were not a common sight on cars. Dual spotlights were even rarer.

Chrome wire wheels were a fad in the 1952-54 era on highline cars. They were almost never seen on anything after about 1956 and certainly on nothing before about 1951.

Memory is selective. A lot of us today restore cars the way that we would have liked them to be and not to how they actually were.

Whit Otis, 1188

RE whitewalls, I can only speak for family, but they were considered a needless luxury that cost a lot of extra dough back then.  This was so even into the 50's...... if someone bought a new car, even if it came with WW's, when it came time to replace them, they were black.

Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger