News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe-Brake Master Cylinder

Started by caddy_rick, December 12, 2011, 11:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddy_rick

New to the hobby. Does someone have a picture of the master brake cylinder with the brake lines hooked up to it.  I replaced all the lines and master cylinder but like a dumb..... i didnt take any pictures. i cant figure out how the rear brake line hooks up to the master cylinder. bought the kit from Kanter any pictures would be helpfull.  thanks,

Philippe M. Ruel

From memory, there is only one brake line departing from the front of the original, single bowl master cylinder.

This line goes to an hexagonal-shaped junction block bolted to the LH (passenger) side frame rail top.
1952 60 Special in France.

Caddy Wizard

Master should have a big brass distribution block screwed into the front of it.  It has three outlets: one for the brake light switch, one for the front brake line, and one for the rear brake line.   The front brake line then goes up to a T block on the left hand frame rail, where it splits out to the two front wheels.  I believe one of the distribution block outlets is threaded with a 1/8" pipe thread for the brake light switch, while the other two outlets are formed for a flared brake line.

If I recall, the front brake line comes straight out the front of the block, the rear brake line comes in from the left side, and the brake light switch screws in from the top.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bob Schuman

Starting in 1951, Cadillac no longer used a hydraulic pressure switch to operate the brake lights. It used a switch mechanically operated by the brake pedal linkage. The fitting on the front of the master cylinder for a 1951 only needs the outlets for the front and rear brake fluid lines. The fitting for many models is very hard to find, so you can use a two outlet type(1951 & later) or the 1950 type with the 1/8" female pipe thread. If using the earlier type and 100% authenticity is not essential, just put a 1/8" brass pipe plug in the unused brake light switch port.
Bob Schuman,CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5