News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Pot Metal and Aluminum Repair

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, December 13, 2011, 06:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  I have been checking out the internet for pot metal repair shops . I found a couple of companies that offer kits for repair it yourself at home . they do however require a torch . The two companies i researched was Muggey weld they make it look very easy with a rod that has a flux coating applied and the other company is HTS -2000 they offer a fluxless rod . The youtube instructions look fairly easy and simple . i was wondering if any one out there has ever tried repairing , pot metal or aluminum using these products .

Thanks,
     Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

phildeville@cox.net

I used Muggey Metal to repair the cracked taillight hinge on my '54.  It takes some experience & low heat.
May I suggest you get some scrap materials to practice your skills before attempting to repair that one of a kind or irreplaceable part...

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

J. Gomez

Bill,

I had fair to good results with Muggy welding rod for pot metals. For general repairs in pot metal cracks and filling, etc the results were good on bare pot pieces, as far as pits in chrome pieces my results were fair so far.

Maybe the way I try it on chrome pieces by not removing the chrome around the area and cleaning the pits deep enough the first time, so I’m still in the trial stages.

I’ve use a regular no flux aluminum rod with good results, but the fix area is noticeable.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Classic

I've never tried repairing pot metal myself.  If it's a part that would be hard to replace, consider sending to a professional.  When I was restoring my '37 Cadillac, I sent a pot metal taillight housing that had a crack in it to Jon Wright's Custom Chrome in Grafton, OH just for repair, not for chroming (it is a painted part).  I was very satisfied with their work.  Of course, if it is a plated part, they can do that to.
http://www.customchromeplating.com/index.html

If interested, here's their contact info:

CustomChrome Plating
963 Mechanic Street
Grafton, OH 44044
Phone: (440) 926-3116
Fax: (440) 926-2551
Email: customchromeplating@yahoo.com
Hours: 7AM-4PM (Eastern) Monday-Friday. Closed Saturday and Sunday

Gene Menne
CLC #474

Bill Balkie 24172

Jose ,
thanks for your responcse
Quote from: Jose Gomez on December 13, 2011, 10:09:08 AM
Bill,

I had fair to good results with Muggy welding rod for pot metals. For general repairs in pot metal cracks and filling, etc the results were good on bare pot pieces, as far as pits in chrome pieces my results were fair so far.

Maybe the way I try it on chrome pieces by not removing the chrome around the area and cleaning the pits deep enough the first time, so I’m still in the trial stages.

I’ve use a regular no flux aluminum rod with good results, but the fix area is noticeable.

Good luck..!

thank s Jose ,
   i will order some rod from Muggy weld and try out my skills on some old parts first .  If you don't try you will never learn .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Gene ,
I called John and it looks like fixing the pot  metal housing would be no problem for him . Thanks again for your help .    Bill 
Quote from: Classic on December 13, 2011, 03:48:58 PM
I've never tried repairing pot metal myself.  If it's a part that would be hard to replace, consider sending to a professional.  When I was restoring my '37 Cadillac, I sent a pot metal taillight housing that had a crack in it to Jon Wright's Custom Chrome in Grafton, OH just for repair, not for chroming (it is a painted part).  I was very satisfied with their work.  Of course, if it is a plated part, they can do that to.
http://www.customchromeplating.com/index.html

If interested, here's their contact info:

CustomChrome Plating
963 Mechanic Street
Grafton, OH 44044
Phone: (440) 926-3116
Fax: (440) 926-2551
Email: customchromeplating@yahoo.com
Hours: 7AM-4PM (Eastern) Monday-Friday. Closed Saturday and Sunday

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Jeff Maltby 4194

Not sure why I purchased it many moons ago @ a Goodguys meet.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500