News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 engine rebuild

Started by Gary Bakeslee, December 14, 2011, 02:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Bakeslee

I am beginning a winter project of rebuilding my V8 engine and need a little help from the guys in the know.

First, on my list is where do I go to have the exhaust manifolds reporcelained?

Second, the bronze camshaft idler gear with 16 teeth is very sharp at the end points of the teeth, does anyone know where I can get a replacement?  The one that runs the distributor and oil pump.

Thank You for all the help you can send my way.

Gary Blakeslee
Gary Blakeslee

Paul Tesone

Gary - I'm not sure you can classify me as one of the " guys in the know " as your post states , but perhaps I can offer you some information :I had the exhaust manifold pipes for my 37 Caddy reporcelainized by Prairie Auto Porcelain. They advertise in Hemmings every month . I was very happy with the quality, price and turn-around time . I can't give you any information as to how they have held up with use because I haven't put too many miles on the car since they were installed . You can check out some pictures of their work by looking at my post in the Forum restoration blog ( 7/20/11 - 1937 6049 series ). As for the bronze gear , I did not replace mine . From time to time I have seen advertisements for them in Hemmings . A while back when this was a hot topic , I somehow received a 13 page print out from a company named " S & S Classic Components ". It is basically an advertisement detailing why and how the company came about making these gears . I know absolutely nothing about the company other than it is apparently run by a past director of the UMR-CCCA and NSR Cadillac LaSalle Club . The company's telephone #  listed on the print out is 612-333-4700. A web site is also listed : ssclassiccomponents.com . I also restored my 47 convertible, so if you think  I can help in any way , please let me know . Good luck . Paul Tesone ...CLC #6876

Brett Baird

All Cadillacs of the Forties & Fifties has the bronze idler gears (allcads.com).  Be sure to use a ZDDP additive in your oil or the gear & cam will not survive for many miles.
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

More importantly make sure the shaft bushings for the gear that meshes with the brass gear are good.  This shaft is the vertical one which drives the distributor.  Of all the engines I have parted out or rebuilt I have never seen one (except one 12,000 mile engine) that met the factory spec of .002 clearance.  If these bushings are worn the small gear which is the hardest of all this series of gears acts like a cutter to trim down the brass gear.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo