News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 convertable

Started by flyboy114, December 16, 2011, 09:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyboy114

hello, i recently purchased a 1939 lasalle 2 door convertable that someone had "begun" to streetrod but i saved it fromm that horrible fate
i also purchased a 4 door to collect peices needed. got some good stuff, but, i need a few things that the four door couldnt provide
i need a front seat, i dont even have the frame to work with. windsheild surround inside and out, and, radio buttons, those im sure are going to be tough if not impossible but i figured id throw it out there. i read that coopers may be an option so ill try them
so, if anyone can throw me some info id love to hear it

lou-q

Dan Whalen makes the radio buttons. I just talked to him abuot making a set for my 39 Caddy.
I think they are $80.00
Get an authenticity manual from CLC if you don't have one yet, they are great help. That is where I found Dan and many other Cadillac/ La Salle parts vendors.
Have fun,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

flyboy114

I just ordered the manual. Do you have the number to Dan? I looked online for him but didnt locate him
I REALLY appreciate the info ! Im looking foreward to doing this project. From the info ive obtained so far, there is only 25 of these cars left in the world and i own one of them. The really disappointing thing thus far is the bodytag was removed and...!!! DISCARDED !!!!!!! Ill post pics  soon

Chris

Jim Stamper

Hi Chris;

Congratulations on your new car. I don't have any spare parts for a 39. 37 yes, but I am looking for a part or two your parts car may have that you don't need. I need the battery cover that fits in the floor under the driver's legs. Mine on my 39 convertible sedan is gone so of course the rug is eaten up.

I am also looking for the center link in the steering gear that connects the front wheels together. I actually just need the  yellow 7/8" diameter coil spring out of one, but would take a whole link.

Don't dispair ove your lack of a seat. I think a coupe seat will suffice, it will just need to be leathered. Steve Passmore,in England, has made seats from scratch for at least one Cadillac convertible, I believe.

Your windshield surrounds from the sedan might be able to be modified to work. I think they are a bit shorter, but someone else should know for sure. I will watch for a coupe parts car.
                                      Thanks;  Jim Stamper, CLC#13470   603 863 2621  in Grantham, NH

flyboy114

battery cover, i beleived i saved. I will check for you. centerlink, sorry, cars gone i didnt remove it .
I pulled everything i could think would be valuable, and of course, something someone needed i didnt take off (figures)
If you call me tommorrow afternoon i will look in the pile of parts for it and if its there its yours mine is ok 203-988-6515 (chris)

Jim Stamper

Thanks Chris, I will call.   Jim

TonyZappone #2624

I would think that seats from any other GM convertible coupe or coupe from 1939 B body would work.  That would include Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick Special and Century.  I am not sure about this, but I think it is a good possibility.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

C.R. Patton II

Hello Chris

Glad to hear that you are restoring you 5067. There may be only 25 listed in our directory but many models are not documented with us. Originally approximately 1040 were produced. I am restoring a 5029. Fred Zwicker has walked in the path you are traveling. He can guide and prevent you from mistakes. Contact (fznz@comcast.net or fzoldcars@comcast.net) him for any questions or pictures. I would suggest that you go to the homepage to acquire the Ron Van Gelderen and Matt Larson book on LaSalle.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

lou-q

Quote from: Jim Stamper on December 16, 2011, 08:27:05 PM
     Hi Chris;

Congratulations on your new car. I don't have any spare parts for a 39. 37 yes, but I am looking for a part or two your parts car may have that you don't need. I need the battery cover that fits in the floor under the driver's legs. Mine on my 39 convertible sedan is gone so of course the rug is eaten up.

I am also looking for the center link in the steering gear that connects the front wheels together. I actually just need the  yellow 7/8" diameter coil spring out of one, but would take a whole link.

Don't dispair ove your lack of a seat. I think a coupe seat will suffice, it will just need to be leathered. Steve Passmore,in England, has made seats from scratch for at least one Cadillac convertible, I believe.

Your windshield surrounds from the sedan might be able to be modified to work. I think they are a bit shorter, but someone else should know for sure. I will watch for a coupe parts car.
                                      Thanks;  Jim Stamper, CLC#13470   603 863 2621  in Grantham, NH
Quote from: lou-q on December 16, 2011, 09:47:37 AM
Dan Whalen makes the radio buttons. I just talked to him abuot making a set for my 39 Caddy.
I think they are $80.00
Get an authenticity manual from CLC if you don't have one yet, they are great help. That is where I found Dan and many other Cadillac/ La Salle parts vendors.
Have fun,
Lou Quirch
Dan's number is: (513) 734-4040
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

C.R. Patton II

Hello Chris

Another excellant source for your project is Jim Beard. He is restoring his 1940 LaSalle 2 door and you can observe on the Restoration Blog Site.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Jim Stamper

Hi Chris;

My heater is a Cadillac scripted 3 door. Two right , one left, and it appears to be a mild metallic maroon color. The car is an unrestored convertible sedan, but has been repainted once. Wouldn't you know it, maroon. But I can't believe they went to the trouble to paint the heater too. It was probably painted around 1960 or before.

Jim Stamper,  CLC#13470

Steve Passmore

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on December 17, 2011, 06:48:09 AM
I would think that seats from any other GM convertible coupe or coupe from 1939 B body would work.  That would include Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick Special and Century.  I am not sure about this, but I think it is a good possibility.

I can confirm Chris that Tony is right, any two door Fisher body style front seat will fit, so you have great scope. It shouldn't be too much of a problem in your country.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: C.R. Patton II on December 17, 2011, 08:33:48 AM
Hello Chris

Glad to hear that you are restoring you 5067. There may be only 25 listed in our directory but many models are not documented with us. Originally approximately 1040 were produced. I am restoring a 5029. Fred Zwicker has walked in the path you are traveling. He can guide and prevent you from mistakes. Contact (fznz@comcast.net or fzoldcars@comcast.net) him for any questions or pictures. I would suggest that you go to the homepage to acquire the Ron Van Gelderen and Matt Larson book on LaSalle.

Please see over 200 pictures of the 2008 restoration of my 1939 LaSalle Convertible Coupe in Oxblood Maroon.  See www.fzoldcars.com   There is a lot of information on that site.  Other pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Fred Zwicker
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

flyboy114

Fred, you are my study guide thru this. i have looked at and studied ALL your pictures. i often reference them in this project
I even have considered taking the trip to Ohio to come photograph the car for more reference. my car is going to be a second to yours. its an incredible peice of automotive history, and restoring it is extremely exciting for me. ive been restoring cars for over a quater century and very few of them excite me bu,t this one has bit me with the bug all over again. i would love to come out to see your car in the summer
its just too cold here in Ct now, and Ohio im sure isnt much better. there is a few areas that i cannot see what to do with due to the amount of deterioration
Unfortunately the engine health took a turn for the worse on me on saturda,y it had a stuck or possibly a broken ring and i was trying to build some heat in the engine to loosen things up and unfortunately it "LOOSENED" up a bit too much ill need to tear it down and rebuild it. the engine was fully detailed and i expected it to be ok but that wasnt the case. fortunately, i have a machine shop close to me that specializes in the older engines, and ive had excellent sucess with his work
One of the disapointing things thus far is the body tag existance. why the previous owner allowed it to be lost is to say the least DISSAPOINTING but there isnt much i can do over it
                                                 Well, Fred, you are to say the least an insperation on this project and i look foreward to maybe meeting you and the wonderful peice of history you have in the future
                                                                                Chris Morrell

Fred Zwicker #23106

Chris,  You and any others on this forum are welcome to come to see our cars any time - call in advance, as I am retired and sometimes take a week off.  If you visit on a Saturday, our car museum (including the '39 LaSalle) is open from 10 AM to 3 PM (free admission).  Other times with advance notice.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com