News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

40 lasalle how do you replace a headlamp switch?

Started by CHARLES COMMERFORD, December 18, 2011, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLES COMMERFORD

gentlemen, can someone give me a detailed way to remove my headlamp switch in my 40 lasalle?
usually in other vehicles i would reach my hand up under the dash and depress a "button" on the switch which would then allow the knob shaft to be removed. i tried several times today on this car and i just can not remove the knob shaft. is there a "trick" to this? does the shaft have to be in a fully closed position or partially or fully open to remove it when i press the button?
i certainly would appreciate your help on this. my switch is missing the bakelight knob and i have another shaft with an original knob to replace it with if i could only get the old one out. please help
thank you,
chuck commerford

Steve Passmore

If its anything like the earlier cars Chuck the rod on the knob has a 90 degree bend on the end and the sliding part coming out the terminal block is spring steel with a hole in it at the top, this spring is the part that has to be pressed down which will release the rod, I'm sure if its any different someone on here will put me right.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

CHARLES COMMERFORD

i have the replacement shaft with the knob in hand. it is absolutely straight and has 2 grooves cut in the end of the shaft at the very end. these grooves are opposite one an other. just picture what a parenthesis looks like when you are writing a letter. ( ) that is what the grooves look like on each side of the shaft. there has to be a proper sequence to remove the shaft.
thank you for advice but perhaps someone else will be kind enough to share their knowledge.
merry christmas to you!
thanks,
chuck c.

Steve Passmore

Thats no problem Chuck I have seen this type also, the spring slider coming out the terminal block has a slit cut into it that these groves fit into, the spring still has to be pushed down to release the rod.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bob Schuman

Charles,
I had the same problem with my 1940 LaSalle until the previous owner(Terry Wenger) showed me how to remove the switch knob and rod. There is a spring steel tab on the side of the switch toward the steering column that, when depressed, releases the rod so it can be pulled out.

I have had the switch on my 1941 Cadillac out several times, and thought the 40 would be the same. The principle is the same, but the part that releases the knob is different, and on a different part of the switch.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

CHARLES COMMERFORD

GENTLEMEN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IT IS TRULY APPRECIATED. I MUST NOT BE EXERTING ENOUGH PRESSURE ON THAT SPRING RELEASE AS I FELT THAT MUST BE THE WAY TO REMOVE THE SHAFT. I HAVE PUSHED IT AS HARD AS I OULD BUT PERHAPS I WILL TRY TO ROTATE THE SWITCH SLIGHTLY TO GET BETTER LEVERAGE.
I JOINED THIS CLUB ON THE RECOMENDATION OF ANOTHER MEMBER AND I AM GLAD THAT I DID. IT IS REFRESHING THAT SO MANY PEOPLE WERE WILLING TO ASSIST ME.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!
CHUCK