News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Shop Order number question

Started by David Temple, December 18, 2011, 11:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Temple

Can anyone in the group tell me if GM issued S.O. numbers for such things as a convertible top buck in the 1950s? I know S.O. numbers were assigned to entire cars. However, I have a couple of scans of engineering reports from July and September 1954 referencing progress on "Cadillac XP-27, Shop Order 2136." According to a file of 11 photographs of a convertible top buck at GM Media Archive, XP-27 is the La Espada. The photos are from September 1954. No S.O. number is indicated. Until a few days ago, the only S.O. number I have seen associated with the La Espada until was S.O. 1928. Interestingly, the La Espada does not seem to have had a top while touring on the 1954 GM Motorama circuit. Even so, press releases about it claimed when the top was in the "up" position it formed a perfect arc. The photos of the top buck show such a setup.

David Temple