News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 cadillac start / reverse switch

Started by 1969cadillac, December 20, 2011, 03:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello -out there!

i have a question about this switch down on the end of the steering column

if you try and pull the gear shift lever past drive into drive 2 or 1 there is a lot of resistance and i am scared that it will break ! - i took the switch apart and cant see anything wrong

any ideas?

thanks, murray Mules

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Robert,

The biggest thing with these switches is to make sure that when you reinstall them, you carefully line up the tang with the recess in the gear change tube.

Put it in wrong, and you will definitely break the tang off.

Now, with the switch off, and using a small screwdriver, see if you can move the internal switch bracket all the way from one end to the other.

If you can't, then there could be a small piece of something inside the switch, stopping the movement.

When moving the tang, which is rolling over a series of brass terminals which are slightly spring-loaded to keep the contacts connected, you will find it hard to move, until you grasp the switch body in one hand, on the outside, and holding the switch upside down, the slider will move a lot easier if you are moving the slider away from your other hand.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Don't break it as they are hard to find, even on flea bay
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible