News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Coupe de Ville (pink) paint formula (I know its not called pink!!!)

Started by greybeard, December 20, 2011, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greybeard

I have tried to search this site and other references to no avail (probably my lack of skills/patience) to find the formula for my '59 Coupe's original color. I think what I'm looking for is a Manufacturer's name and their mixing formula for a base coat/clear coat.  I am ready to remove the engine and detail (restore) the engine compartment.  The car has had a hard life living along the pacific north coast.  My plan is to remove all the inner sheetmetal, radiator support,etc. Sandblast, prime and paint semigloss black.  The firewall is the body color and that's where I'm stuck.
Any guidance as far as the correct finish (plating) goes for the accesories (hinges, master cylinder/booster, windshield washer bottle bracket, etc. would be greatly appreciated.  If there is a publication available to furnish this info I will gladly purchase it.
Also, chrome platers?? I know in the S.F. bay area, most of the chrome work needs to be sent out of the area for compliance reasons.  Is there someone reasonable that can be recommended.  NOT show quality as this will always be a driver.  Thanks in advance for any help. Don Sylvia, Campbell, CA

Dan LeBlanc

Here is a link to the color chips for 1959.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1959-cadillac-pg01.jpg

These guys are also pretty good at mixing up the original colors.  Several people have recommended them to me for my 1961 Nautilus Blue.  I just haven't had the opportunity to order yet.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

michael freitas

Tcp Global  just made paint for my replacement dash for my Seville, A PERFECT match..

william_b_noble

the pink color was called persian sand on the eldorados and it had a different name (same color) on the coup de ville - I have a few cans left in nitrocellulose lacquer that I use for touch up - for a full repaint, I'd use a modern paint with a clear coat -it's much more durable.  I used DuPont paint, perfect match to original
Bill N - clc # 2371

gene harl

I used AAA plating in sacramento,,a bit priceee and slow , but did a good job 51 cad chrome ....gene harl.. clc22406

Chris Conklin

Quote from: greybeard on December 20, 2011, 08:12:12 PM
If there is a publication available to furnish this info I will gladly purchase it.

Not sure if it will cover all of your questions as to the finish of items in the engine bay, but have you purchased an Authenticity Manual?
Chris Conklin

76eldo

Chris,

Is there a 59/60 authenticity manual?  I haven't seen that one on the list on the CLC website but there must be one.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Wilk

Brian, to my knowldege there is no Authenticity manual yet for 59/60.  Wish there was though for my 59......but then again.....the folks on this site have provided all the information I've needed, or leads to people who could!!!!!!!  A book would be easier for those late nights though...... :)

J wilk
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

william_b_noble

Any guidance as far as the correct finish (plating) goes for the accesories (hinges, master cylinder/booster, windshield washer bottle bracket, etc. would be greatly appreciated

my 59 eldorado is 100% stock, I got it in poor condition, so i know for sure there was no over restoration before I started working on it:

hinges - body color
master cylinder - I've seen black and unpainted,
booster - black
washer bottle bracket - silvery metal, not plated - could be a flashing of zinc? - same color as top of bottle
air resivoir for air suspension - black
inner fenders - black
underside of hood - body color

hope this helps
Bill N - clc # 2371

greybeard

Thank you all for responding.  A friend found a website that had the paint formula for PPG & Dupont.  Went to my local NAPA parts/paint store and they said the could mix it either in single stage or base coat/clear coat. While I have the engine out I plan on painting the firewall, underside of hood & underside of trunk using single stage.  When I get brave enough (and money enough) to pull all the chrome/stainless I'll apply basecoat/clearcoat to the body.
The painted power brake booster puzzles me as mine is plated.  I wonder if it has been replaced?
I asked the NAPA paint guy about choices for semi gloss for the inner fender wells, radiatior support, etc. and he wasn't much help.  I want semigloss,but not too glossy or flat.
Any suggestions??
Thanks again,
Don, Campbell, CA

william_b_noble

I would recommend you use black Imron for the inner fenders and add a dulling agent if you don't want the gloss.  Personally, I'd go for gloss, it will look dull the first time you drive it anyway.  Imron is available as an industrial paint only, and as a urethane it is much more resistant to abrasion and chemicals.
Bill N - clc # 2371

Dan LeBlanc

Or you could go with Eastwood underhood black.  Has just the right amount of gloss to look right.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

62droptop

good call Dan
it is a semi gloss black that just looks right

also some paint companies have a chassis black that more sheen than gloss to it

my 62 convertible is gloss black under the hood and just doesnt look right,not to mention trying to keep the bloss black looking good is a major pain in the arse!