News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Seat belts in a 1930 Cadillac

Started by Cooke, December 21, 2011, 04:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

Last week I was rear ended on the highway, I was doing 65 he was doing around 100mph. That was in a 2010 Buick Lacrosse and I will be in physical therapy for a few more weeks, no broken bones but very sore otherwise. After this experience I would like to install lap and shoulder belts in the 1930 Cadillac club sedan I assume lots of people have done this and I would like to do it without detracting from the car as much as possible. I mostly would be interested in the mounting of the shoulder belts, not too sure the pillar would work well. Any ideas are appreciated. Way too many idiots on the road even without going on the highways.  Martin Cooke

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Martin,

Not too sure of the body construction methods in your car, as to whether it is a wood frame covered with steel, or all steel construction, but if it is the first, then you are in for a problem.

Wood-framed bodied vehicles do not lend themselves to the easy installation of Seat Belts, as there is no solid anchor points to attach the mountings.   

Plus, the construction of the Seats, do not lend themselves to staying still in a crash.   If the seats have a folding back, then being restrained by a seat belt in a frontal, can end up in serious injury as the seat back keeps on going forward, pinning your body up against the belt, and putting tremendous pressure from behind, as these seats are heavy.   This is why you will never see seat belts in a seat without a latch mechanism to stop the back from coming forward.

Seat Belts do save lives, but only if they are fitted correctly, and the "other stuff" in the vehicle is modified to suit.

As you can see, there are more questions that need answering before one can decide.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   If you were rear-ended in the Cadillac, then Seat Belts wouldn't have been of much use to you, as the seat back would have broken, leaving you prostrate on the flattened seat, probably with a broken neck, due to there being no head restraint.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Mr. Reynolds is correct. As a former personal injury lawyer, I have dealt with and studied hundreds of car accidents.

In a rear end collision (aka sudden acceleration) your car moves forward while your body is pressed back against the seat. A seatbelt does nothing for you in this situation. I extreme cases, the seat frame will break or bend backwards, causing spinal injuries. It is also possible that the seat could detach from the floor on impact.

On prewar cars (like my 1940 LaSalle), the seat frame is made of wood. I don't know how this holds up in a rear end hit. I suspect that the wood itself, if it breaks jaggedly, could cause injury.

In a front end collision, (sudden deceleration) your car stops and your body pitches forward. Seatbelts might help in this situation, but the attachment of them is problematic. I believe that a 1930 still had a wooden frame. I don't know how belts could be securely attached.

You also need to consider that on these old cars, doors tend to open in a collision and that pre-alligator type hoods tend to fly off and can come through the windshield.

If you look at pictures of old auto accidents, these cars are scary. Couple that with the fact that the typical jackass on the road today doesn't give a damn about his own car, let alone yours. When I drive my LaSalle, it always amazes me that people feel compelled to pass, even if I am keeping up with traffic. Often, they cut back into the lane only a few feet in front of my nose.

The only thing that we can do driving our cars is to try to be as careful as possible. Try to keep as much distance as possible between ourselves and other cars. Try to stick with secondary roads.

Many hobbies have some degree of danger. In our case, I think we have to live with it. We are probably safer in our cars than we would be on motorcycles or in small aircraft.

Richardonly

Martin,

I have nothing to add regarding the seat belts. 

I would like to wish you a speedy (no pun intended) recovery with no lasting affects.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Jim Stamper

I agree with the above, it behooves us to take "defensive driving" to highest degree. Good mirrors and situational awareness are the keys to our enjoyment of our old cars. After all, we really don't want to become as unconscious as the people driving around texting and cell phoning anyway. Part of the enjoyment of driving our old cars is that they require us to actually drive them. Being situationally aware at all times was always part of the job, then and now, and driving within the capabilities of the vehicle.

We can't keep our fellow drivers from "dumbing down" but we can try and stay out of their way, really no choice in the matter.

I often put one of those big orange reflective metal triangles that tractors and farm equipment wear on the back of my slower cars or when I know I am going to be on a slow road. I am not sure about the legality of that, but if some guy sees me even a tad sooner than he might have, I will take my chances on wearing one. I have never been bothered by police for wearing one. They look a bit out of place or even ugly, but I can't see it anyway while driving.   

Speedy recovery to you.                   Jim Stamper;  CLC#13470

R Schroeder

I would have to go along with the guys that posted here about defensive driving.
I have a book here at home that shows old car crashes. The ones that are from the 30's era are pretty bad in a front crash. The bodies come right off of the frame.
If you were to have a seat belt bolted to the frame , it probably would cut you right in half.
I rode a cycle for 30 years and you become very good at defensive driving on one of those.
I just keep out of everyones way the best I can. I drive a 78 and I still don't want to go through an accident.
My cousin years ago owned a 57 Cadillac. He was in a front crash with the car, and the seat belt wrecked his back. It cut into his stomach and pulled something in his back. He to this day has problems.
All you can do is be as careful as you can be.
Hope you are getting better.
Roy