News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Factory tool kits and accessary tools kits?

Started by 1937 LaSalle coupe, December 21, 2011, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello everyone. I'm 57 yrs. old and have never seen GM "factory" tool sets provided in vehicles. First new car my dad bought was a '59 Chevy Impala. No tool kit included. Just wondering if Cadillac ever included a GM tool set with their cars? Was there ever an additional " accessory " tool kit available form GM? I see on EBAY where people assemble what they call a tool kit. Looks like a bunch of misc. tools. If GM ever supplied a tool kit would it have tools with the "GM" stamp on them? I know FORD made tools and have seen their sets advertised.  Maybe a guess that cars of the 20' & 30's had them so the owners could do most of their repairs. And later on when cars became more complicated, the manufactures decided not to equip cars to somewhat discourage the home mechanic. Be nice to hear some replies. Thanks... John Lehman ...CLC# 26365...   

Warren Rauch #4286

Tool kits were important up thru the 1930's. Take a look at your 1937 LaSalle owner manual page 61.The kit includes tire changing equipment (tire irons), hammer,screwdriver,pliers,adj. wrench,spark plug wrench, tool bag, jack and handle, wheel mounting wrench and wheel disc pry if used.
By 1941 the parts book (group 3.0415) tool kit toolbag,hammer,pliers,screwdriver,adj wrench,and disc pry.
By 1954 the parts book tool kit was only pliers, screwdriver, adj. wrench.
It is hard to know if these were for past or present models. But , GM wasn't like ford they didn't put their name on the tools. Some early tools ,(teens +/-) did have Cadillac on them.The early cars got basic tools and more, like timer wrenches and special rim tools etc. To get an idea of what there should be in your tool box look in a period Cadillac Parts book in section 3. Warren

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's my virgin 49 jack-tools-wood chock in the oem box. I'm missing the pipe wrench for some reason.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

49 Sedanette

Jeff:

Would you consider giving dimensions from that box? It would be great to replicate it for my 1949.

I also have a 1951... would you know if if would use similar tools?

Thanks,
Victor
V.Milke

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sadly, Jeff recently passed away, so he won't be able to supply the required measurements, but maybe someone else might.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

49 Sedanette

Sorry to hear that, Bruce... and thanks for your help.
Victor
V.Milke