News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 Cadillac Deville Turn signal Problems (help!)

Started by valeo77, December 22, 2011, 11:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valeo77

So I have been doing the best that I can to track down some electrical problems with no luck so I figured I would ask here. See below for the issues I am having.
• Passenger turn signal works when parking lights are on or headlights are on but does not work at when lights are off. When they do blink the turn signal and the fender indicator alternate
• Drivers side works all the time but they do no alternate when they blink. Both the fender and the turn signal blink at the same time
• None of my cornering lights ever work
• Turn signal lights do not turn on when I have my parking lights on (should they?)
• Taillights work fine.

I read that cars with an adjustable steering column have a directional switch(?) that may be the cause of my issues...any thoughts on this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

1966  Coupe Deville Conv.
PIC--->http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxd1ejPFEn1r5r2vl.jpg

Dave Shepherd

Start by looking at bad grounds in the affected lite sockets and circuits, also look closely at the bulbs, make sure the filaments do not touch where they enter the base of the inner part of the bulb.

valeo77

Dave,
Thanks for the advice. I will check again closely...

Chris Conklin

The cornering lights are subject to corrosion and scaling in the sockets. I think Dave's advice would clear a lot of the issues. The switch for a tilt/telescoping steering column, if that is eventually needed, is in the realm of unobtainium. Unless you don't mind spending over $300 for a switch. You may have some luck cleaning it up (verrrrry carefully).
Chris Conklin

valeo77

spolij

I'm having trouble also. When i put the housing in the fender it sparks then blows a fuse. It seems to be in the wiring just be fore the bulb.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I had this with the 55. Take each bulb out and clean its base. Do the same for the sockets-scotchbrite on the end of a screwdriver works.
Problem was corrosion between the terminals jumped to have both filaments on at the same time and/or the current was being misdirected.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: valeo77 on December 22, 2011, 11:17:12 AM
So I have been doing the best that I can to track down some electrical problems with no luck so I figured I would ask here. See below for the issues I am having.
• Passenger turn signal works when parking lights are on or headlights are on but does not work at when lights are off. When they do blink the turn signal and the fender indicator alternate
• Drivers side works all the time but they do no alternate when they blink. Both the fender and the turn signal blink at the same time
• None of my cornering lights ever work
• Turn signal lights do not turn on when I have my parking lights on (should they?)
• Taillights work fine.

I read that cars with an adjustable steering column have a directional switch(?) that may be the cause of my issues...any thoughts on this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cars with a tilt-telescope steering wheel have a directional signal/cornering light switch mounted to the steering column, up from where the neutral switch is located. It is operated remotely by way of a cable actuated by the directional signal lever.  That switch is adjustable on the column, and at the cable attachment to the switch. Wear and/or improper adjustment can cause one side's signals not to function properly. 

The fender-top signal indicators are on when the signals are flashing. They do not alternate, as modern cars do.  The turn signal lights/parking lights have dual filament bulbs, and the lights are on when the switch is in the parking lamp position. When the signals are activated in parking lamp position, the parking lamps are on and the signal flashes.  In order for the cornering lamps to function, the headlamp switch must be on.

Dave, Chris, and Jeff have provided sound advice; make sure everything is clean and free of corrosion, that the bulbs are functional, and there is proper grounding.

Send me an e-mail (faresmcmthelix@msn.com) if you find that you need the directional signal/cornering light switch for tilt-telescope columns.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

spolij

Charles
my turn signal indicator works great until I go to put it in the fender, sparks fly, fuse blows but the bulb still works after I removed the fixture and change the fuse. So does what you're saying pertain to my problem?

cadillacmike68

john,

You have a short somewhere. There might be a wire that gets pushed, scored, or otherwise makes contact when you put the housing back in the fender.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike