News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

thermostat interchange?

Started by R Sotardi #11719, December 31, 2011, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Sotardi #11719

While going through some old stuff, I found a 180% brass poppet thermostat still in the box. Box states it is for a 56-62 Cadillac. Would it also fit a 1950? It been years since I replaced the the thermostat, so I don't remember. The numbers are different in the parts book, however. Thanks Ron Sotardi.

Warren Rauch #4286

I checked a (NAPA) Balkamp catalog that covers THompson brand Thermostats. It says it will work back to 1942. The bellows type that these earlier models used were slower and needed more space. The poppet kind do work in their place. I would however question using a 180 degree in the earlier models. It will raise the operating temp of the engine. Warren

R Sotardi #11719

Thanks Warren, I thought about that 180. They are for faster warmup on winter mornings. Alas, I live in Tucson and I don't even connect the heat riser most of the year. There is a 160 in her now. Ron