News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1966 Fleetwood Questions

Started by okccadman, January 02, 2012, 03:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

I am looking at a 1966 Fleetwood.  I haven't had a 60s Cadillac in quite some time.  What common problem areas do I need to check?  the 429 seems to run well and not tick.  There are a few bubbles under the vinyl top which I know is common of this vintage GM product.  it appears to be a 100k mile untouched original.  Anything i must check out busides the usual rust and wear?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Check the oil and make sure the engine doesn't smoke. Ask the owner about any oil consumption. Check Level Ride and Climate Control for proper operation. Chances are manual air shocks are in the car which is ok but early CC systems can be a headache.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Jim,

I'm a bit prejudice â€"see below- but I feel they are the last great Cadillacs before nanny state safety and pollution controls took effect. The 429 would have been Cadillacs best ever engine had they not built the 472. The engine is bullet proof with minimal care. The caveat is to beware of a leaking front engine cover as they are cast aluminum and prone to stripping and cracking at bolt attachment points. Replacements are very difficult to find in good condition. Control systems are electrical or vacuum operated and can be repaired, as compared to newer solid state/digital controls.  However, finding a vacuum leak or getting to the offending electric circuit can be difficult as there’s a lot packed into the body. Your biggest worry is the rust under the vinyl top. If it's really bad, as mine was, there could be water leaking into the trunk leading to rust near body mounts. Repairing the roof rust can be expensive because there's a lot of interior and trim to remove before the rust can be addressed.

Mid 60’s Fleetwoods glide over the road at highway speed with uncanny quietness. In proper tune you'll be surprised how quick they are for such large heavy cars. If you're looking at a nice example at market price, you won't be disappointed.

HTH,

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Series75

Jim,
I've enjoyed mine since 1982.  I agree with Ralph on the rust under the roof cover can be more extensive then you may think.  My roof was painted under the vinyl but I've heard some are not and the roof may rust on the flat center section.   A sharp pointed object could perforate the roof cover and go right through whats left of the steel.  So you might want to check.   
Tom CLC#6866