News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

time for some engine work

Started by Cooke, January 02, 2012, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I just did a cold compression check on my 1930 v8. The car has not had much hill climbing power since I got it this fall. I have been driving it and running it hoping the rings would snap back. This is not happening, I just did a compression and leak down test. Most cylinders were 25 to 30 lbs with two at 45. I did a compression check when I got the car but the engine was warm and I was getting 60lbs with some doing almost 75 still not great. The car starts, runs smooth at idle and revs well, just no power trying to go up even slight hills. The leak down test indicated rings but since I will be removing the combustion chambers from the block I will be doing the valves as well. Anyone have any experience with just doing rings??, also are there any currant valves that would work?? I just did a Model T and was able to use Chevy 350 valves, or will I just be going to Egge for parts. Any advice from someone who has done this would be appreciated.  Thanks, Martin Cooke

The Tassie Devil(le)

Before you pull it down, do a "Wet Check" Compression Reading to satisfy yourself that it is the Rings.

To do this, squirt some oil into the cylinders, and then do the Compression Check again, and note the rise in readings.

If there is no rise, then it is the Valves.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Shepherd

Another very good way to do this is a leak down test, that will pinpoint the rings from the valves.

Cooke

Thanks for the replies, I have done a leak down test  and it confirms that it is the rings. I am hoping that when I pull it apart that rings will do it without needing pistons. I will also do a valve job while I have the engine apart. I hope I don't need pistons as I believe the engine was rebuilt in the 50’s by GMC (it has a tag on it stating that) but I have no idea what they did, yet.