News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carb for a 1948 Cadillac

Started by vicbrincat, January 05, 2012, 11:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

Almost three years ago I had the carb on my '48 rebuilt. The car and carb have both  perfromed very well, but before storing it this winter, I noticed that there were the telltale signs of fuel seepage from the carb's gaskets. Brown steaks that were not there when I installed it three years ago.

Using a bit of cleaner, the carb looks like new again. BUT in order to solve the problem permanently I had it rebuilt again.
When I got it back from this reputable rebuilder, I could still see some fuel seepage especially at the rear of the carb bowl gaskets.

I called the rebuilder to complain and he reassured me that he even resin coated the gaskets to ensure they won't leak. He said that there was nothing else that could be done and most of these older style carbs for those years had this type of problem.  I'm not sure I'm buying that story...none the less ..rather  than fussing with this carb..I want to find a replacement ..and hopefully it will be less of a problem than the one I have.

Can anyone tell me where I could get a similar replacement or a comparable replacement?
From what I can tell my model is a Carter model WCO (at least it says WCO at the very back).
I believe there are several correct carbs for the 48 model:

From an Internet search:

1949   ALL MODELS   C-2   WCD           722S

1948-46   60, 61, 62,75     S-2    AAV-26       80154 (205-14A), (205-14B), 380871 (205-14B)
               ALL MODELS      C-2      WCD              595S, SA         

I would like to use a correct replacement so the Stromberg or the Carter should do (as above). But I am not sure how to determine the exact part number. As you can see the 1949 used the same C-2 Carb but a different carb part number.

Could someone please clarify this. Thank you!

Vic Brincat

Steve Passmore

They usually had a slightly different way of operating the choke or the throttle linkage Vic, hence the different numbers, many other part numbers will fit but you have to do some alterations.
I have found your problem to be very common over the years, even new old stoke carbs are great for a while but will seep eventually, what your
re-builder said is largely true, just clean it off occasionally, I don't think you'll cure it.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

vicbrincat

Thank you S Passmore.

I let the carb "sit" over night, and there is definietly  fuel on my finger after I run it accross the gasket seam. However, it is not dripping..in fact it is not even moist at the bottom of the carb where you would expect the fuel to collect. It is definietly just  seepage.  It almost appars as though the gaskets are becoming saturated with fuel. And I am OK with occaisonly wiping it off.

My biggest concern is fuel pooling where it is so near the cross-over exhaust. But the truth is, it is NOT pooling.

Thanks again for the reply.

Vic Brincat

Jeff Maltby 4194

Hi Vic.

Every carb I've seen has the same ugly problem. I used Gasgacinch on mine but have no miles on it less running in shop. You can buy it online -Napa or a harley dealer. I also use it on the rad/heater hoses etc. Good stuff in my opinion.

http://www.gasgacinch.com/gasgacinch_002.htm

Gasgacinch Facts

Porter Mfg. & Supply Corp., has been the only manufacturer and distributor of Gasgacinch Gasket Sealers for over 50 years in the USA. Our Gasgacinch Gasket Sealer is among the most proven adhesive in the industry. Manufactured from premium grade materials, Gasgacinch offers the best in PERFORMANCE, DURABILITY, and QUALITY for true professional results. Gasgacinch's unique formula is designed to hold gaskets in place during assembly.

In contrast with pasty sealants, Gasgacinch is very fluid, which allows it to flow into tiny fissures and cracks, sealing air pockets where other paste sealants fail. When cured, Gasgacinch is flexible, has high-peel strength, high-shear strength, fatigue resistant, vibration dampening, high heat resistant, gasoline resistant, and oil resistant.

Gasgacinch also allows easy cleanup when competitors require solvents or destructive scraping to clean off your work surface. Gasgacinch adheres to carbon steel, alloy steel, aluminum, titanium, lead, magnesium, synthetic and natural rubber, copper and cork.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

vicbrincat

Thanks Jeff.

So it looks like I will just have to be a little more vigilant with the the cleaning cloth...and will give up on locating a "better" carb.

I will keep the product in mind and maybe will make it a next year project to pull the  carb off (yet again) and redo the gaskets  with this stuff.

Thanks!!
How's that '49 doing?

Jeff Maltby 4194

:<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

vicbrincat

Thanks Jeff... this is perfect.

In fact, it answers some questiosn that  I hadn't asked yet!!

Thanks again.

Vic Brincat

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's the 49 carb bottom page  specs. My book goes from 46 to 59 if anyone needs some pictures ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

vicbrincat

Update:
I have in fact purchased a correct carb for my 48. It is a Carter  WCD model 595S. As I suspected it would, the carb needed a rebuild.   Took it to a new rebuilder and got  it  back last week and installed it yesterday. I was ecstatic... .the  car idles flawlessly..even stone cold.. Unfortunately I can't road test the car until the Spring....but I don't foresee any issues.

One thing I have to note is that the new carb also seeps a little fuel at the back..exactly where my old carb did. It's not significant, just a damp smudge on my finger when I run it across the gasket seam....at this point, because the car is idling so well...I'm going to leave well enough alone. Unless I discover drive-ability issues, I'll just stay vigilant about cleaning any seepage residue .

Just glad to have the car running normal again.

One last note - the carb that came  with the car when I purchased it was actual for a 1949 Model, it was Carter Model 610. The choke housing was on the passenger side. So I had to revert  the choke tube to fit the 595S which was on the driver side.. However, the '48 carb has a vent port which is designed to drain off excess gas should the carb flood. I added a 1/4" line from this vent tube and ran it to the front right side of the motor and down along the water pump to drain below the engine....is that the correct routing for this vent tube?

OSK

If your still having issues with your carter WCD and you have the original one still on hand i'd be happy to take a look at it as i do have some experience restoring them and have access to some other WCD's that are still in their original state, Might be able to solve your leaking problem on the one you took off and you'd have a spare on the shelf

vicbrincat

Thanks OSK!

Since the original one was in fact incorrect for my car, I would hesitate spending any more $$ on it.

However, if I find another correct carb  for a good price, I may take you up on rebuilding it. Thank you!

Vic Brincat

OSK

So your looking for a WCD 595S? cause the Stromberg AAV-26's are spendy to get ahold of if their even available

vicbrincat

OSK,

I have recently purchased the correct Carter WCD 595S to replace a  WCD 610 model (which was in fact correct for '49) . The 595S was rebuilt, installed and runs very well.

I am keeping a casual eye open for a spare..but since I now have a working, proper carb for my '48, there is no sense of urgency at this point.

Thanks
Vic Brincat