News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Stock 1968 Calais steel wheel color?

Started by Gene Beaird, January 05, 2012, 03:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Beaird

During the R&R of the brake hydraulics on our Calais, I noticed that the steel wheels looked kind of tan color.  After pulling the wheels and looking at the back mounting surface, it appears that that tan color may be a combination of surface rust, Alabama red clay and gray paint, as the fresher surfaces seem to be gray.  While the car has hubcaps, and I plan on using them, I'd like to repaint the wheels.  The car will probably never be a 100-pointer, but when it's not difficult to do the right thing, I'd like to. 

Does anyone know what color gray Cadillac used for the steel wheels in 1968?  Thank you.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

62droptop

i believe the old  ford tractor grey is a close match up if they are the same grey as the 62 wheels

Gene Beaird

Unfortunately, I don't have a 62.  It looks to be a medium gray, but seems to be a bit more yellow than a regular gray primer.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Chris Conklin

I thought that '66 and beyond they went to black satin finish on the rims.
Chris Conklin

Gene Beaird

Perhaps the spare, but I didn't check the spare.  I guess I should to see if they are all the same.  They are definitely gray, and I know my grandfather wouldn't do a lot of cosmetic upkeep (besides being too old, he didn't care much how things looked, as long as they worked). 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873