News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

evaporust

Started by ccp49, January 07, 2012, 12:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccp49

Just learned about this product from a friend.  Non toxic/acidic, water based, and it works incredibly well.  I threw a couple brackets into the solution that I thought would lose 1/2 of their mass.  They came out looking almost new.  Does wonders for original hardware - those bolts you can't find anymore with the logos.  I have a parts washer and sandblaster, but like this as an alternative to the blaster for parts taht I will not be painting, because it does not change the factory finish. 
I will be looking now for some kind of treatment for the treated parts such as brackets so that surface rust does not begin to accumulate again. 
To lessen shipping charges, they send the product in concentrated form in a 5 gallon bucket, then you just need to add 4 gallons of distilled water. 
I am told what works well is to have a small collection of tupperware of various sizes so you use what you need and keep it in the containers.  This stuff can be used indoors because it does not produce dangerous fumes. 

Here's the link:
http://www.evaporust.com/

Dan Barbieri
49 convertible on its way toward a full makeover
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

B Readling CLC#25871

Dan, you and others may be interested in a much cheaper rust remover. I found it on the internet and tried it. Molasses and water! It is mixed 9:1. 9 parts water to one part molasses. The molasses cost $3.00 a gallon at the feed and seed store(livestock grade).It  worked great on the two doors I put in a kids swimming pool. The process took about 2-3 weeks and I did this in the summer when the tempature was warm. I'm in a auto restoration class and everyone was impressed with the results.
Brady - CLC#25871

The Tassie Devil(le)

I too promote the "Molasses Bath", but make sure there is a lid on the top to cover everything up.

But, using the kids swimming pool, now that is different, but hopefully the pool won't be used for the little'uns for swimming?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Fred Pennington 25635

50/50 white vinegar and water works well too

Fred P.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

B Readling CLC#25871

Bruce,
the kids pool was outside with no cover over the pool itself but it was setting under a car port,I had no problems with bugs or animals..We called it a mo- lab.the kids came through it ok a four year old with hair on the bottom of his feet looks cute
Brady - CLC#25871

Caddy Wizard

I love these rust-eating solutions and have used two or three brands.  But I have found that for parts made out of spring steel, the part can become embrittled and useless after removing rust using these solutions.  Things like spring clamps for heater hoses have snapped in half after de-rusting them with this stuff.  I don't understand the mechanism by which this is  happening, but it has happened to me enough times that I don't use the stuff on small springs any more...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)