News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oil filler cap color on a flathead

Started by vicbrincat, January 07, 2012, 01:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

What is the correct color of the oil filler cap on the post war 346 blocks?

I have seen many restorations with green and many with black. 

Which one is correct?

Thank you!!

Vic Brincat

Jay Friedman

I'm fairly certain that in '48 they were painted engine Green.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Andrew Armitage

I think both are correct depending on your car.  On my '41, the cap is black and appears to be original.
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
1941 67 Series
1966 Fleetwood 75 Series
1985 Seville
1991 Eldorado

kkarrer

According to the standards the cap should be green, same as the block.
Ken Karrer
1941 6227D coupe

vicbrincat

Thanks for the replies folks.

It looks like it's going to be green.

Vic Brincat

srk1941

Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Richardonly

I have green on my 48 Fleetwood.  The A/C you see was dealer installed in 1951 when it became available.
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

49 Convertible

Vic

Glad to see you are still tinkering with the 48 6267x..I sold mine in 08 for a price I could not pass up and just finished a 49 6267x but this time no body off as I learned my lesson last time with body flexing etc.  THE OIL CAP IS DEFINITELY green on the 48.  49 it is Black

Herman
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

vicbrincat

Thanks all for the responses.

Yes, Herman, I'm still tinkering with the '48. I'm actually just doing some winter maintenance, fixing those annoying problems that come up in the summer.
My oil dip stick broke at the neck where it joins the cap to the dipstick itself. I fabricated a new bracket but scratched up the cap in the process. Originally I had it as greem, but I thought I would double check since I had to repaint.

Also, had some carb troubles. And as it turns out, the carb on my car was for a '49.The carb gaskets started leaking and then a host of other  issues poped up..but initially teh carb worked well. Since my last few posts and some correspondnace with Jeff Maltby we discovered that I have  the   wrong carb for my '48.

Luckily one of the other members on this list had  the correct carb for a '48 for sale!

Anyway to answer your questions yes I am still tinkering!

While we're on the subject of tinkering....I have had a minor but very annoying oil leak at the base of the distributor.
I have had this leak since I first started up the engine (two years ago). I decided to fix it by intsalling a paper-thick gasket between the distriutor and the block...I mean litteraly,  I made the gasket from a file folder jacket. I did not want to use regular gasket paper as I was concerned about changing the meshing point of the distributor gear and the idler gear. We have all heard the horror stories about the flathead's idler gear and I didn't want to mess too much with this critical area.
Anyway, I added a paper thin gasket and used thread sealer on the distributor bolts and the leak is gone.

Thanks again for the info, folks!

Vic Brincat

mr41cadillac

mine is 100 percent original its green and a 1941

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Richard,
I do not believe that comprerssor was available untill sometime in the mid 1970's.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-