News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

58 check valve for engine vacuum source

Started by cw4dove, January 07, 2012, 03:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cw4dove

I am seeking a new check valve that goes on the engine block behind the starter on a 58 series 62 with the original stock engine.  I have removed the exixting valve, and it has nothing in it.  I was expecting to find a spring and ball.  I have blocked off the port for now until I can find a replace ment valve.  What led me to this was when I hooked up the vacuum line from the check valve to the firwall manifold, the car started sucking oil from the engine and burning it.  Unhooking the vacuum line solved that problem.  The next issue with the vacuum was my power brakes weren't working.  I found I had no vacuum.  After removing the carburator I discovered that someone had installed the thick spacer upside down.  Flipped that over, and viola' vacuum, but still no power brakes.  I will chase hoses, connections and look at the reservoir cannister next.  The booster itself has been rebuilt and the rebuilder assures me it was tested and fucntioning when it left his shop.  But I digress, does anyone know where I can get a new "check valve" for the side of the engine block?  Thanks.
Billy C. Dove, Jr

1958 Series 62 Sedan
1957 Mercedes 220S
1960 Volkswagen Beetle
1924 Model T
1961 Corvair Rampside
2008 STS

David King (kz78hy)

Hi Billy,

I would watch for someone parting out a car.  57 and 58 used them for sure and you might as well get the formed tube as well if yours is missing.  If you find one, you can fix it yourself.  Check out this link, I described how to do it a couple of times on different threads.  One of the links apprears broken now and that one had all the good detail.

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php?topic=115548.msg186857#msg186857

David

ps, while looking at the for sale area, here is a link to 58 being parted out, you should see if he still has it, I bet he does.

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php?topic=117326.0
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

cw4dove

David, thanks for your input.  I will check out the parts car.  Thanks again.

Billy
Billy C. Dove, Jr

1958 Series 62 Sedan
1957 Mercedes 220S
1960 Volkswagen Beetle
1924 Model T
1961 Corvair Rampside
2008 STS