News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Metal bolt-on trunk

Started by john hunter, January 12, 2012, 07:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john hunter

I have a Black, Metal, bolt-on trunk that may have been for a 1929/30 LaSalle.  Can anyone confirm or possibly ID it as belonging to another make of car?  Any help would be appreciated.  see attached photos.  Thank you!    John Hunter

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

John,that's a good find.
It's correct for 32/33 Cad & LaSalle closed cars. I assume it's approx. 40" wide.
It's also corect for some other big cars including Duesenberg. Any original suitcases inside? Value? It was a valuble trunk some years ago.... Today,I'm not sure. Remember , it's a closed car trunk, NOT a low-boy for open cars.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

john hunter

Bob,

Thank you for the information.  Yes, it is approx. 40" wide x 20" high x 20" deep.  I do not know the value.  There are no suitcases inside, just the bolt-on hardware.  I need a key; any suggestions? Thank you very much.

John Hunter

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

John,
I thought you would ask me what the value was. What I meant was... I don't know.
The lock is probably made by Briggs & Stratton.
You will have to remove some of the wood from the cover to remove it.
Then take it to the oldest lock shop in town.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Wayne Womble 12210

If you remove the wood and the hardware, rods, etc. you can remove the lock.  It is briggs and stratton, blank B1 I think.  When you remove it, there should be a code on the case. Something like XC 452. A key can be cut from that code.

If you find that code, I can give you the cutting instructions, or even cut you one if you want.

Value   $500 +- a few.

john hunter

W. Womble,

Thank you for your response and great information.  The reason that I mentioned the need for a key, is that I can't open it.  I assume that one latch is locked.  One side is not locked or latched so I can see inside through a very small opening between lid and base.  I will try to locate a blank B & S, B 1 key locally and see if it fits.  When I get the key code I may take you up on your offer to cut a key.

Thank you also for your value information.

B. Hoffmann,

I did not ask about a value because I am not at the point of trying to sell it.  I could not answer questions about the condition of the inside until I can open it.  When I get it to open then I would like to find it a good home, hopefully to someone that needs it to complete their car.  Thank you for your lock information and value comments.

J. Hunter

Wayne Womble 12210

Hmmm, That is a problem.  Those locks are pretty simple.  If you find the cylinder will turn just a little and it is loose, you might find someone that can pick it.