News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carter Carb Question

Started by Vinny6t6, January 13, 2012, 01:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny6t6

I need to rebuild the factory Carter Carb that is on my 66 429.  The number reats 4169S.  my car is auto with no a/c.  I got a good deal on a fully rebuilt Carter, however it is from a 61 with a 390, number 3178s.  Forgive my stupidity, but before I buy it, what is the difference? Is it the CFM?  Will the 61 work on my 66?  Any help is greatly appreciated.
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz
1993 40th Anniversary Corvette 6 Speed

Dave Shepherd

More than likely the jets and metering rods are different between the 2 engines. There may be other differences in the idle circuits also.  I would get the original carb redone.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Vinny,
The 66 AFB is 625 CFM, larger than the earlier ones, and as Dave says, there ARE several differences in jetting, rods, etc.  One of the common problems with (just about any) older carbs is the wear in the primary throttle shafts and the vacuum leaks that result.  If it were mine, I would have the original carb rebuilt by someone who can re-bush the shaft as well as replace the Jets and rods which also tend to wear from contact over the years.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Vinny6t6

Thanks for the replies.  What about the age old question........Can i put an Edelbrock Carb on my car?  They are cheaper than rebuilds.  I know this has probably been discussed numerous times.  I have a Petronix Ignition on the car already and converted the front drums to discs, so i am not worried about originality.  i want a good reliable drving car.
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Vinny,
The 429 is not a Chevy 350.  Your original carburetor was finly tuned to serve all the needs of your motor.  Besides the linkage, transmission kick down, fuel and vacuum connections AND the fact that the "Clone" has a lesser flow rating, I personally never even considered on of them on mine and the "extra" money spent was well worth it.  I eventually decided on using a '67 intake and running a Quadrajet which, I feel not only provided a sizable increase in performance, but greatly increased the drive ability in areas of starting, traffic, and gas consumption.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Vinny6t6

That's not a bad idea.  I had a Rochester on my 77 CDV and on my 80 Buick Riviera and thought it was a great carb.  Thanks for the advice.  That's why I always come to you guys. 
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz

x-racer

Hi,
Personally I would keep the std AFB, check out this place:
http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/catalog/Cadillac/index.html
http://www.carburetion.com/Carter4.htm

I did a complete rebuild of my -66 / 429 , the number you refere seems to belong to a California mod, incl airpump? I'm not a 100% sure, but guess you find out studying the links above.

Regards AHa
'66 CDV, Conv.
'88 Olds Cust. Cruiser
'76 Chev Malibu Coupe
'91 Merc. 300CE
'99 Merc. 500S
'00 Merc. 240TE
'68 HD Custom
'00 HD Ultra Elektra Glide

Vinny6t6

You are correct.  I found the 4169S at a swap meet and it ran good for a while.  I cleaned out my parts bin and found the original carb.  I am going to have it sent out to be rebuilt.  The number is 3904S.  I have it narrowed down to Carburetors and More, Guarrenteed Carb or Daytona.  I know everyone favors Daytona.  But Guarenteed Bench tests theirs on a running motor before it is sent back.  Any feedback?
1966 DeVille Convertible
1980 Eldorado Biarritz