News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

help!! need details - installing hood lacing on mid 30s cadillac

Started by william_b_noble, January 14, 2012, 02:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

william_b_noble

I'm finally getting to where I can put the hood back on my 36 series 60 (http://www.wbnoble.com/cars/36_Cad-Hood/36_cadillac_hood_hinge.htm)

When I got the car there wasn't much hood lacing left, and it's been many many years so frankly, I don't remember exactly what was there nor what should be there - so I could use some decent photos that might show me:

• the top of the hood lacing at the firewall
  • the bottom of the hood lacing at the firewall
  • the same two things for the cowl
  • a view of how the question marked shaped lacing tightening bolt looks when installed - how does it interact with the lacing
  • is the wire inside the lacing or on top of the lacing?
  • does the wire go in one piece from left to right side traversing under the hood center strip? or is it two pieces?
  • any other installation hints

by inspecting, I've decided the following -

• there are two small holes near the top of the cowl, so the wire must go through these holes and be a single piece
  • there is a broad slot on either side near the top of the cowl, so maybe the welting goes through that slot uncut (?)
  • there is an additional hole near the top of the firewall in the welting channel - could there be a rivet?
Bill N - clc # 2371

william_b_noble

is this arrangement of the lacing on the cowl correct?  does the lacing go below the firewall to cowl rods or above the rods?  does the wire wrap around the screw at the cowl base?  does the wire go ontop of the lacing?
Bill N - clc # 2371

Steve Passmore

You have that laid in there correctly Bill but no wire on the front cowl, the bolts at the bottom hold just the lacing.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Dan Burngasser

Bill,On my 37 LaSalle 50 series cowl the lacing itself has 3 "flutes"if you will,the center of which holds a wire about the diameter of a welding rod.This wire has a hook in the upper end (top of cowl) through which a sheet metal screw(about 3/4 to 1 inch long attaches the end of the lacing.Mine does not get tucked into the slots(although an old repaint job may have changed it from original)as the lacing begins to turn downward a short (1/2 or3/8 long sheet metal screw goes through the lacing into a previously drilled(factory I think)hole.directly beneath that hole is another through which the hook passes.The curved area of the hook is visible outside the welting.Push the hook through the welt to capture the internal wire.The hook is fastened inside the carby a washer and nut.The lower edge of the welt is held in place by a standoff bracket about 3/4 inch wide with a 1/8 inch leg on each end of it.This bracket is held by a machine screw through the center.Why the long dissertation? I have no pictures,only rough sketches.Dan
1937 LaSalle Series 50

william_b_noble

thanks to both of you, very helpful.  In this rather pathetic photo of the firewall top, the hole is where the brass piece that holds the hood center strip goes though.  At either end of the U channel that stops short of the hole there is a small hole, and then about an inch or two farther down from that there is a second hole, at least on one side (didn't check the other side last night) - my inclination is to run the wire as a single piece through the two holes at the top of the U and then put the lacing over it - does that seem about right?  I found the two [ shaped metal pieces for the bottom of the wire, and I have the ? shaped screws so I think at least the firewall side will now come together correctly.

On the cowl, if there is no wire, won't the lacing tear?  I have just a round head screw as shown (and I'm sure that's original).  I guess it is a shorter piece, and there isn't much force on it, but ....????
Bill N - clc # 2371