News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 freeze plugs size

Started by PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192, January 14, 2012, 12:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hello,
Does anyone know the actual size of the freeze plugs on the 54 engine - I only want to know about the ones in the water jacket ie the 6 in the block and the 4 in the heads - believe these are the same size. Before anyone suggests it - my blaock is away in the machine shop at the moment , so I can't measure them !
Thanks,
Phil

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks John, what an odd size to use , I wonder why GM chose that agianst 1 1/2 ? Phil

Jay Friedman

Several years ago one of the 1 31/64" freeze plugs in my '49 popped out because I had not installed it well following a rebuild.  At the time I couldn't find any replacements, so not knowing what else to do I bought a rubber 1½" freeze plug, the kind with the bolt in the middle that tightens the rubber against the block.  I lightly ground it down by rotating it lightly against my grinding wheel until I could push it in, then tightened the bolt and to my pleasant surprise it held water.  In fact, it has been in place for years without any problem.  Ironically, some months later I found a kit of 1 31/64" freeze plugs for a 331 motor so now have a plentiful supply. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks Jay,
I got mine , in brass from Rock Auto, made by Dorman, part number 560021. In the past , as I live in the UK and this size has never been available over here to my knowledge, I have got an 1 1/2 one and filed it down until it fitted - the last one I did like this leaked though ! So I'm glad I've now got the right ones.
Phil