News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 hydro-electric window question....

Started by dino, January 14, 2012, 02:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dino

If I go in the garage with the car ice cold the windows will go up and down with no problem. Take the car for a 20 minute ride and the windows go up much slower or may need a little push to go all the way up.  Park the car and the next morning go out in the garage and the windows will go up and down perfectly.  The top works, the seat works, no leaks, reservoir is full of brake fluid up to the correct level.....   Somethink is happening when the engine compartment heats up?  Air in the system ?  ANY SUGGESTIONS....  How would I bleed all the air out of the system ?  Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated....
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Dino,

Could be in the motor that drives the pump for the windows and top. They slow down when hot as parts get old...

My guess

jw
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Dave Ventresca

Dino, you don't mention how cold it is outside when you drive the car. if it is significantly colder than in the garage, the windows work much slower in colder weather. If your garage is heated then it makes sense. also when you say the engine is "ice cold" do you mean it is off, and you're running  the windows? maybe your charging system is below specs, and the motor isn't turning fast enough? my thoughts. Dave

Richardonly

Dino,

As I'm sure you know , the brake fluid is succeptable to all sorts of breakdown over the years.  Have you considered changing the fluid to ATF?

Joe Cutler may be able to advise you on this.  His phone is listed in the NERCLC newsletter as a parts seller.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Tito Sobrinho

Dino:

Did you check the electrical connections?  Seems to me that there is a poor ground connection to the pump. The pump is built like a starter.
Nothing to do with your problem but it is a good idea to change the brake fluid to ATF. 
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

gary griffin

Could it be the fact that the viscosity of the fluid changes with temperature changes and the warmed, and therefore  thinner fluid is producing less pressure due to wear in the pump? What is the output pressure of the pump when cool and when warm would be my first questions. If it is significantly different at the different temperatures it may need rejuvination.

If they are close to the same and the other gadgets in the system work properly under both conditions I would look at the possibility that as the components warm up they expand and tolerences diminish causing increased friction. Possibly a lubrication with a silicon spray would help??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver