News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac Radio restoration facility

Started by Scot Minesinger, January 14, 2012, 10:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Hi,

Where is the best place to have the radio restored?  It is a foot control type, so I would like to save it as it was originally.  Only use places with strong referrals to work on my car.

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Walter Youshock

Scot,

Check out antiqueradios.com.  I had a 1955 tube console repaired by a shop in Philly and his work is excellent.  I don't know if he does transistor car radios though.  If you check out that site, you may find a referral.

Another place I had great service from with my '91 cd/cassette and amp is Dr. Don's (doctordons.com)  in Huntsville, TX.  They specialize in auto radios.  DO NOT trust a local shop.  Send it to a pro.

BTW:  the foot control was just a plug-in remote that triggered the seek/scan function.  The rear seat changer in a series 75 was basically the same thing as the foot switch and plugs into the same socket on the back of the tuner.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Scot Minesinger

Walter,

Thanks - I will check it out.  This Caddy has almost every option except limited slip differential and rear defogger (which don't want anyway, because they are for bad weather).  It has tilt/teles steering wheel, climate control, 60/40 seats, leather, power locks, passenger mirror, trumpet horn, cruise, twilight sent., auto dimming, power seats, heavy duty cooling, power trunk release, and the trunk pull down.  It probably has some more, just forgetting them.

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Walter Youshock

Wasn't the foot switch only available for AM radios?  I can't locate my 1970 Owner's Manual.  Maybe they were able to make the scanner work for both bands by then.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

David King (kz78hy)

Charles Sigfried in CA rebuilt my wonderbar - transistor unit out of my 58 Brougham.  Excellent work.  Expensive, but everything on the car is, so I am numb to the costs when I need something done right.  I also had a Aux. source selector added on a remote wire so I could run a ipod like device through the system.  The radio and power unit though are rebuilt to the original specs.

http://www.nadjaart.com/web_design/webwork/charles/index.htm

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Walter Youshock

David,

Of EVERY option standard on the Brougham, the one thing that was not available was the foot switch because of the transistor radio!  The standard '57 foot switch has a 3-prong plug whereas the later transistor radios have an RCA type jack for the foot switch.

I think the Brougham radio has a provision for the 3-prong switch but it will cause a dead short and blow the fuse if connected.  These sets were designed by RCA for DELCO, so they were quite good in  their day.  RCA also provided the technology for Autronic-Eye.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

David King (kz78hy)

Hi Walter,

Yes, you are right.  I read a serviceman article regarding the foot switch and NOT to use it on the Brougham as it causes a short.  The Brougham radios were bench built in Kokomo, Indiana at Delco Remy.  Mine works great now.  The speakers are the weak link, but it still sounds very good.  One of these days the speakers will get re-coned.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter