News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rubber Cement recomendations?

Started by gary griffin, January 16, 2012, 07:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

It is approaching time for me to install running board rubber and rubber stone guards on the steel backing attachemnts for my car and I am wondering what is the best rubber to steel and rubber to rubber cements available. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Garygriffin@Q.com

206 276 0398
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I have always been pleased with 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

62droptop

i too have used the 3 m product with good results

before installing the rubber,make sure it gets a good chemical cleaning to get any mold release agent from the rubber, not familiar with your particular application,but if it is a molded piece, it will not adhere too well if it is not cleaned of any residue first
i would bring the rubber parts into a body shop supply shop  place and ask what they recommend to clean it and stick it on with

Gene Beaird

A decent dish washing detergent and a scrub brush is usually sufficient to remove most mold release agents from the part you are trying to glue.  It certainly works for most styrene, ABS and resin parts.  But yeah, make it clean so the cement will adhere to the part. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Dan LeBlanc

The key with the 3m weatherstrip adhesive is to apply a thin film to each of the parts.  Allow to dry for about 10 minutes or until tacky.  Apply another thin film and bond the parts together.

Creates an instant bond.  Saw this on My Classic Car in an Eastwood Garage segment featuring Steele Rubber.  They did it that way and the bond was instant and much stronger than gluing the two pieces together wet or with adhesive only on one surface.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Classic

I used a vinyl floor adhesive and put a thin coat on the entire bottom side of the running board rubber.  Then placed it on the metal running board and used a roller over the entire surface to make sure it was tight and smooth.  Covering the entire bottom side with adhesive prevents water from getting underneath the rubber.  You can get vinyl floor adhesive at your local home center.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Tom Beaver

As yet another suggestion, I used 3M Scotch-Weld No. 1357 contact adhesive.  As others have mentioned, everything needs to be clean.  Then apply a good coat to both surfaces and let set until it is barely tacky to the touch then place the two pieces together and use a roller to bond the two surfaces very thoroughly together.  You can't reposition things once you start pressing them together.

Tom Beaver