News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Barret Jackson 2012

Started by EldoradoRedd1, January 17, 2012, 08:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EldoradoRedd1

Ok here's anotha year at Barrett Jackson, I hope to see more Caddys but i won't get my hopes up >:(. Jus seen a beautiful 47 Fleetwood $28k. Cool 8)

S.Rhame
S.Rhame

C.R. Patton II

Hello

IMO there are three kinds of car enthusiasts.

(1) Barrett Jackson purchasers who use a pen to sign on the dotted line

(2) Buyers that restore their own automobiles

(3) Guys like me who sell plasma to fund the project

I sure would like to afford a pen to stop the bleeding.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

EldoradoRedd1

Yeah i hear ya 8).....Barret Jackson does hav som beautiful cars, they jus showed a pristine '54 Eldo, went f/$34k 8)

S.Rhame
EldoradoRedd1
S.Rhame

D.Yaros

Quote from: EldoradoRedd1 on January 17, 2012, 08:42:31 PM
Ok here's anotha year at Barrett Jackson >:(. Jus seen a beautiful 47 Fleetwood $28k. Cool 8)
I hope you aren't referring to that candy apple red, crushed velvet interior abomination?  If so, sorry.  To me, it did not do justice to the standard of the world concept.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Dan LeBlanc

Sometimes necessity is drives people to do strange things.  Perhaps the sellers need to liquidate to generate cash and will sell at a loss to save their house, business, etc.

Tough times call for desperate measures.

Then there are those who have more money than brains.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

EldoradoRedd1

Quote from: D.Yaros on January 18, 2012, 08:19:19 AM
I hope you aren't referring to that candy apple red, crushed velvet interior abomination?  If so, sorry.  To me, it did not do justice to the standard of the world concept.
Actually i was, I def. wasn't feeleng the interior, i thought the paintjob was pretty good.

S.Rhame
EldoradoRedd1
S.Rhame

olds34dude

yes it is amazing that that beautul 47 goes for 28k and  Novas bring 50k- more money than brains or... as I type this theres a Camaro,'67 going for-gone for 80k- plus what? 10% afinmazing d varney
D. Varney

R Sotardi #11719

Desperate is the word! Would you sign over your car to B-J in anticipation of getting a sale without a reserve? That is what you must do, since B-J went to ALL NO RESERVE. Way too much opportunity to lose money by the car load. If the auctioneer is a little hasty, You Lose. You "almost" have to bring your own shills with you or you 47 Caddy might sell for $28k. Don't want to pay $2000 for Prime Time on Friday or Saturday, your market shrinks, You Lose! Or a power failure occurs like 12 years ago When the late Dave Wunch signed his 60 Eldo for prime 1pm slot on Sat. The car went on the block at @ midnight. You lose ! Dan, your absolutely right. Unless you are selling a street rod, late muscle car, or some unusual thing that the museums can turn over after they wright off the costs, avoid Barrett- Jackson. Try Ebay(with reserve), Hemmings, or most of all marque club periodicals( Self Starter etc.) Ron

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: R Sotardi #11719 on January 19, 2012, 11:31:29 AM
Desperate is the word! Would you sign over your car to B-J in anticipation of getting a sale without a reserve? That is what you must do, since B-J went to ALL NO RESERVE.

The strictly "No Reserve" policy has since been rescinded, however higher fees apply for reserve consignments.

B-J received numerous complaints- many of which resulted in court cases arising from a number of alleged irregularities/improprieties.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Quote from: StevenTuck on January 19, 2012, 05:37:20 AM
Anyone can get more doing a private sale or ebay than Barrett Jackson. The muscle cars and the very rare cars are probably the exception. Barrett Jackson is really destroying the values of our cars with every auction.

I can't wait to see what the JFK hearse brings. I know it won't bring more than $960,000. It is hard to believe that an owner turned that down in 2006. Those days are gone.

Hmmm. I don't know. I've seen a few Cadillacs do some pretty big numbers- $200K for a '57 62 conv for one.

B-J crowd attuned more toward muscle/mod/Corvette crowd- probably not the place to sell your Cadillac  unless a modified job (IMHO).

Yesterday a '62 Series 62 coupe just made $36,300(!) w/buyer fee. Definitely huge money for a crank window resto w/"Coupe deVille" scripts on quarter panels no less. 

Dave Shepherd

I have been to these autcions in FLA.  You cannot drive the cars of course, if the consignor agrees you can start them up and check out the accessories.  I would not be comfortable not driiving a high buck atction car, then find out the trans doesn't shift or the rear is noisey or it is all over the road at 50.  I think we would all assume a high buck paint, interior and chrome resto would drive as good as it looks.  Maybe not!!

Here's a search of all Cadillacs at B-J.

Looks like they're all doing some good money.

-There's no direct link for searches; just type "Cadillac" in the "make" box, then hit "Search"

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/currentcarlist.aspx?aid=443&sd=01%2f19%2f2012&ed=01%2f19%2f2012

**EDIT**  I mispoke- Make that insane money.

R Sotardi #11719

Eric, I was not aware of that no reserve  being rescinded. Thanks for the heads up. I went last year and assumed it was the same.

C.R. Patton II

Global Buddies

That 1932 LaSalle was magnoficient! I thought it sold below value, what do you think?
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Chris Conklin

I have great difficulty watching the BJ Show. Mainly because it has become just that - a show. I cringe with every "tribute" car that rolls out to the stage. I guess that's supposed to be better than the term "clone". Call it what it is, a fake. But, as the old adage says, a fool and his money... I'll wait and read the results on-line after the fact.
Chris Conklin

R Sotardi #11719

I loved the 32 LaSalle, I thought it was a bit under,too. But I agree with Chris. All the stupid gab with every person except the mens' room janitor, then a commercial, made the time to actually see the auction almost non existent. From the start at 5 PM MST to 5:40 I saw exactly 2 cars. Came back a couple of hours later. A 54 Nash Rambler rod went on the block..." too bad because this car might have saved Nash" was the quote by the talking head. For his information, it did until 1969. A circus for people who don't know the car hobby.

EldoradoRedd1

Quote from: Chris Conklin #25055 on January 19, 2012, 09:00:04 PM
I have great difficulty watching the BJ Show. Mainly because it has become just that - a show. I cringe with every "tribute" car that rolls out to the stage. I guess that's supposed to be better than the term "clone". Call it what it is, a fake. But, as the old adage says, a fool and his money... I'll wait and read the results on-line after the fact.
Def. no argument there, they gotta hav a "tribute" & a pause & bid thingy goin on. :(
S.Rhame

D.Yaros

The show has become nothing more than a series of commercials with an occasional auction shown.  Then there are the true "collector cars," such as a 2011 Ford Explorer that comes with a gui-tar!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

veesixteen

Tivo enables Gita and I to tape all our favorite TV programs and watch them next day (or whenever we have time); we "zap" most all the commercials.  TV advertising drives me nuts ... except the occasional funny one, with children or animals!  Yet it's advertising that pays for all our newspapers, magazines, radio and TV; it's also what makes the products we buy more expensive!  In Switzerland and France (where we once lived) a special screen appears at the start and end of all commercials, so you may get on with other things during the breaks; there is usually a single 5-10 minute commercial break during a full-feature movie presentation. In the USA (and elsewhere too, I guess) commercials interrupt actual programming, without warning, about every 10 minutes!  Does anyone ever BUY any of the goods and services offered?
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

Some nut paid MORE than that red "62" convertible for the equally red "Isetta" bubble car!

My impression of the first two days is that buyers are paying premium+ for old pick-up trucks, so-called "muscle cars" and the occasional "oddity", like the Isetta.  Where have all the high-end collectible Cadillacs gone, not to mention the luxury classics I used to drool over in Scottsdade ... before the high entrance fee put an end to my attending the auction (notice how bare the tent looks most days!).
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"