News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Q" code 1960 Eldo Engine

Started by jeremy9146, January 19, 2012, 08:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremy9146

Will I actually find a "Q" stamped or cast on my 1960 Eldo engine or is that code only found on a data tag of a non Eldo model with factory tri-power?  Any help with this is greatly appreciated.  Thanks Jeremy
Jeremy Weiss Bridgewater, NJ
Current collection of Cadillac’s
1953 Eldorado
1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The VIN# is stamped on the engine block- with no direct reference to the Q engine. The Q code will appear on build sheet and cowl tag on non-Eldorados so equipped.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

afeltham

My 1958 Biarritz (w/ tri-power - as original)  had the letter Q as part of the serial number stamped on the engine block.//Alan Feltham

Dan LeBlanc

I think the code is part of the engine number stamped on the rear of the block and not part of the VIN number.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Two Biarritz owners (59 & 60) reported no markings other than VIN. The Q is located elsewhere then, Dan?

Dan LeBlanc

On the drivers side, just aft of the head on a flat spot just ahead of the bell housing from the transmission.

Engine numbers are generated based on the sequence in which the engines were produced and will not necessarily match the engine number.

Cars with AC also had an x in the number while standard cars had a k (or vice versa).  I'm thinking the VIN number was stamped on the block when the VIN number was also stamped on the frame.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Here's a post I made on another forum as it relates to 61/62 (59/60 should be close to the same rules).

Allow me to clear some confusion regarding engine unit number and engine serial number.

The engine unit number is the number assigned to the engine in the order it was produced. The first two digits are the model year reversed, ie., 61=16 and 62=26. The next character is a letter. X is for non-a/c 62 and 63 series cars and K is for 62 and 63 series a/c cars (75 and 86 series cars had other letters for a/c and non-a/c). The next six digits denote the order in which the engines were produced starting with 000001. Engines fitted with low compression pistons had LC stamped after the unit number and engines that had .010 rings installed had an * after the unit number.

The engine serial number and chassis numbers are the ones we would refer to as VIN numbers for insurance and licensing purposes. This number is the order in which they were used on the assembly line. First two digits are model year, next character is the trim series, the last 6 are order of use on the production line.

It is possible to have a higher engine unit number than an engine serial number. This can be due to a number of factors - finished engines that did not make it to the assembly line due to testing and/or not meeting the tolerances for a finished Cadillac engine.

Two examples I currently have sitting on the floor of my garage:

Engine serial number: 62G075721
Engine unit number: 26X75894
Removed from 1962 Series 62 Coupe, non a/c

Engine serial number: 61M114833
Engine unit number: 16K115097
Belongs to my numbers matching 1961 Fleetwood Sixty Special with a/c

Hopefully I haven't further muddied the waters, but, rather shed some light on the engine unit and serial numbering for our cars.
Dan LeBlanc

Thanks Dan that was very helpful.

76eldo

The VIN of my 1960 62 series convert is 60F093677.  The former owner had obtained build info from Cadillac.  It's a sheet of cars built, in numerical order.  My particular car was ordered with the Q-code Eldorado engine, and the engine number is 93677Q, so in this instance, the engine number is identical to the last portion of the VIN denoting the car's serial number.

If you look at the sheet, the first column says engine serial number, and the cars appear to be built and numbered sequentially.  Mine has a Q while others have an additional digit, and some have "K".

Hope this is helpful.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ok- Just to answer the OP's original question so as to be completely clear for everyone:

Aside from the VIN#- Is the "Engine Unit Number" stamped on the block in its entirety with the Q, K or X; or just the Q, K or X or what?

#2 This info located on the side of the block behind the driver's side cyl head?