News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 cadillac deville grille

Started by 1969cadillac, January 21, 2012, 07:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello ! - is there any simple way to take a 69 grille apart since it is all crimped over?

and what is the best way to clean the grille sections , as i guess it is anodised??

it is ok to clean and spray with varnish to stop further oxidation ( i am not in a salt area)

thanks, Murray Mules

George D. Mukalian CLC # 10047

Murray:
I took my time with WD-40. I lightly sprayed one square section, rubbed completely then dryed it immediately with a clean dry cloth.
This kept my grille looking brand new for a very long time.
It's very time consuming but it's worth it.

George
George D. Mukalian
CLC #10047

Scot Minesinger

I have a 1970 Cadillac and it is a similar grille.  Talked to a very talented guy who took apart his 1970 grille and greatly regretted it.  He got it back together, but it was difficult.  Best thing to do is clean thoroughly to the extent possible.  I have seen some grilles that look great with a very time consuming cleaning.  Unfortunately, there is no easy or good way, not that your way was going to be easy.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Gene Beaird

Very good info.  Our 1968 Calais spent some time in rural Alabama.  While it's hard to tell by looking at it, oddly, in photographs, you can see the southeast US red clay stain on almost all parts, including the grill.  Should that clean up with normal cleaning, or does some product work better over another to clean the 'red hue' off the grill and chrome parts?

Thanks.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've had excellent results with #0000 or #000 steel wool for grill detailing.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute