News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Factory Custom 1955 Series 62 Convertible

Started by okccadman, January 21, 2012, 11:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

I ran across these factory photos of a custom 1955 Series 62 Convertible.  These were taken in the corporate garage at Clark Street by a GM Staff Photographer as the car was undergoing final reassembly or additional interior modifications.   Notice the extended quarter panels, continental kit and custom tail light pods predicting the 59 models. 

Does anyone know anything about this one-off?  Where is it now?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jim,
I've looked at the pictures for quite some time. I'm not sure how you determined where they were taken or by whom.
It appears to have been driven a lot. It has all the earmarks of what the customizers were doing with fairly new cars at that time.  If it was a GM car, it would have manufactures plates. I'm interested in other opinions.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

okccadman

Bob,

This was in an album full of assembly line and office pics as well as other cars being delivered in that same building.  There is a 55 Eldo witrh no fabric on the top in the next stall being worked on as well.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

okccadman

I wish there was a way to trace the license plates!
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jim,
That car appears to be several years old. Look at the dirt on the rear bumper & the front of the rear tire. Dirt on the tire side & tread.
Also, it looks like the rear bumper has rub marks & light scratches. Your thoughts?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Steve Passmore

I'm inclined to agree with Bob, I know very little about 50s cars but doesn't the very fact it has a registration plate on it give the game away? No car in the plant still being worked on would be registered at that point would it?  even a custom special build would not be known to your  Motor Licensing dept at that stage in its construction surly ?? 
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

R Schroeder

In 1957 Michigan had white letters on a red backround. In 59 I think  it was yellow letters with a dark green backround.
Could be one of those two years.

okccadman

I really wish I had more info.  There is a 55 Eldo with no fabric top in the stall to the left of this car.  These photos were on the same page as photos of a gentleman taking delivery of a new 55 Series 62 Sedan and affixing 1955 Hawaii License Plates on it.  There are about 200 photos and these fall in the early part of the 1955 assembly line and factory pics.  I was thinking it might have been a custom for an executive or "friend" of GM Brass.  I remember reading Ed Glowacke had a custome white Cadillac convertible with blue interior around this time that he used to pull his matching Austin Healey race car.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

okccadman

You can also see the open driver's door of a 1955 Series 62 Sedan to the right of the custom convertible.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

Walter Youshock

That's definitely the Clark plant.  I have the 1957 edition of "the books".  A lot of the photos showed up in the "Cadillac Craftsman", the monthly employee newsletter.  If you can find copies of those magazines for 1955, you MIGHT get an answer to the story of this car.  I was able to find out who a lot of people were in the photos this way.  And these assembly line photos are invaluable for authenticity purposes.

It's possible the car was customized at the plant for an executive.  They would do just about anything back then.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Tito Sobrinho

What a contraption?  Tasteless with 4 tubes on the rear fenders + the Continental Kit!
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

76eldo

Looks like the same building to me.

The rather ugly rear end re-style could be an employee's car which would explain the tags and the dirt and wear.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Reading the link that Roy just put up, it is sad to read of all the plants that were operating, and then closed in the past 40 years.

Created employment, and wealth, for the local communities.

But, the upside, I suppose if there is one, is that other countries and shareholders, are profiteering from the opening of plants in their area.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gene Beaird

Okay, I'll preface this with the fact that I'm NOT an expert on '50's era Cadillacs, but I seem to remember my Dad's 50 had the gas filler under one of the tail lights (IIRC, the right one).  How does one fill this car up?

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Opening the taillamp up reveals the gas cap- just take it off and fill-er-up. I believe they were always on the driver (L) side.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry Norman

There does not  seem yo be a flip up tail lamp unless the pod itself does. Also, has the Eldorado boot cover and no wire wheels .
Barry Norman

okccadman

I would sure like to know if there were any modifications to teh front of the car!
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

Walter Youshock

It looks like a standard '55 series 62 convertible with 2-tone interior and a metallic paint job, save for the Eldorado boot and the taillights and continental kit.  The '55 Eldorado wheels were chrome sabres.

The standard Cadillacs had the fuel filler under the driver's taillight.  The Eldorados had the filler behind a flip-up door on the driver's side where the taillight flare ended at the rear quarter.  It's possible this car was modified with an Eldorado-type fuel door, but we can't see the driver's side of the car.

The designers took great care in hiding hardware and obvious signs of imbalance from one side of the car to the other.  By '58, the twin side mirrors reappeared on the 60 Specials (although the passenger mirror was useless due to its location).

In my opinion, that was one thing that detracted from the Eldorados.  Even the Brougham had that door with the "GASOLINE" badge.

'57 Chevies and the El Moroccos had a filler provision in the lower fin chrome that slid sideways.  Maybe Cadillac couldn't employ this feature because the fin design was sharper than that of the Chevrolet line.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham