News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Shoulder Seat Belts for 1976 Eldorado Convertible - Retrofit Available?

Started by djrobnyc, January 24, 2012, 10:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djrobnyc

These apparently were optional in the car. Is it possible to purchase a retrofit kit that includes these shoulder belts for the front seats? If so, does it require modification of any panels - drilling, cutting, etc.? And does anyone know where they sell these kits? Thank you.

--Rob

Scot Minesinger

Rob,

It is very unlikely that these are reproduced or sold as a kit that resembles the factory option.  Best bet is to search for either NOS (GM Obsolete, eBay, and others), or find a used seat belt shoulder option.  I'm sure this would require some additional anchoring and etc with drilling plus possible panel modifications.  You may need to get a few other things to make the addition besides the seat belts.  Best of luck,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

djrobnyc

Scot,
Thanks for your answer. Do you know if the NOS part is interchangeable with similar GM convertibles of this timeframe (Delta 88 Royale, Grand Ville, LeSabre)?

And you don't think the shoulder belt attaches to the top? Or do you have to do major modifications to the trim/body? Thanks!

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Rob,

I too am after a set of Shoulder Belts for my '72 Eldo Convertible, and have studied their mounting points many times, which are shown in the Fisher Body Service Manual.

They mount to a bracket that is fastened at the side of the rear seat back, just below the rear outside the arm rest, with the belt webbing running between the rear arm rest, and the rear quarter inner panel.   The rear shoulder belts for the rear seat passengers, at the top of the rear seat, between the top side of the seat, and the convertible mechanism anchor points.

Having the correct mounts will make it easy to locate the places to drill, if necessary.

If the other GM brands offered Shoulder Belts in the other E Body Convertibles, then they will fit, as the interiors in this area will be the same.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

pdkellyjr

just a shot that someone is still watching this....i have a 71 eldo convertable that i will be putting in shoulder seat belts. has anyone here completed this project and were you lucky enough to find stock belts?

Paul

The Tassie Devil(le)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

pdkellyjr

thanks. its on my list. looked at my fisher manual tonight and found no mention of convertible shoulder belts. from what i have read it was an option. i will figure it out and let you know>

The Tassie Devil(le)

They are mentioned in the Fisher Body Service Manual, at least for 1971 and '72, under Section 14 Seats, at the back of that section, the last two pages, before Electrical.

They are described with beautiful drawings, and I would make my own, but cannot get anyone here to attach the webbing without HUGE expense

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

pdkellyjr

i either have a different fisher manual or didnt look carefully enough. Mine is the Fisher Body 1971 Service manual. i guess attaching the shoulder requires some serious mounting brackets. i have a good guy who does all the work i cant cheeply. he is kid who grew up on old GM. worked in dealerships etc etc...now has his own garage in the country.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Just checked my '71 Body Service Manual and there is no mention of the shoulder belts for the Eldorado Convertible, nor other Convertible models in the GM range.

Looks like 1972 might have been the first year for these belts in Convertibles.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

pdkellyjr

a couple of good anchor points and i am good. we will see. i wouldnt mind an email with the drawings from the 72 manual.
paulkelly@att.net

The Tassie Devil(le)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

pdkellyjr

interesting how there are independent lap belts and shoulder belts. almost makes me more comfortable messing with the seat belts. the belt straps remain the same ( no less safe than currently ). i add an anchor point for the high point of the straps that go across the chest and use the same ancor point for the additional clip at the waist. looks like for the front i simply reinforce the respective inside rear frames for a bolt; and for the rear, mount an anchor point behing the rear seat above the shoulder. looks like i will be pounding out and welding in some steel. eventually replace the straps with one three point when i am comfortable with the new anchors.