News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Steering Box from 68 rebuild questions???

Started by speach, January 27, 2012, 12:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speach

This steering box came out of a parts car. The steering box in my 68 is a bit loose. Since I have this extra one I was considering rebuilding it. Apparently I need some special tools to do this. Having a rebuilt one in my car would make me feel good, knowing that it is perfect shape.  The kit is super cheap. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the book is a bit confusing.
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

Gene Beaird

The question I'd ask is: does it need rebuilding?  I think I'd try bolting it up and seeing how it feels before going through the effort of a rebuild.  IIRC they're not a complex job, but you need to really get some leverage pulling things like the pitman arm off the bottom of the box. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

speach

Yea well this one is already out and I don't really want to replace one old one for another you know. Maybe I just need to adjust the one in my car. It's just that I have the spare to work with.
Current cars:
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

WilliamTrausch

The Tassie Devil(le)

Adjusting the slop out of the box is easy, as long as everything else is okay.

Place the steering in the straight ahead position, and loosen off the top adjusting nut, and slowly wind the screw downwards, whilst holding the lock-nut from turning, and at the same time, move the steering wheel from left to right, without actually moving the Sector Shaft.

Once the "play" is taken out, tighten the lock nut without moving the adjusting screw.

What has just been described is the closing up of the tolerance within the "worm and nut" within the steering box, as these two pieces are tapered, and by screwing the screw downwards, you are actually pushing the Sector Shaft downwards, deeper in the box to decrease the teeth clearance.

Never do this whilst the steering is off centre as when you steer straight ahead, the box will be over-tight, and damage will occur.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   There is supposed to be play in these parts whilst the wheel is being turned to the left and the right, but not straight ahead.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gene Beaird

And also don't just crank the screw down until it stops.  That'll result in a gearbox that will soon have more slop in it and can no longer be adjusted.  Just adjust it to the point where the excessive play is _just_ gone.  It's better to have a little play than no play at all.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

speach

Thanks a bunch guys. I have recently replaced my tie rods, center, and drag link. Soon I hope to put new ball joints on. So this will help get everything as good as can be. Balljoints are not cheap for these cars.
Current cars:
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

WilliamTrausch