News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

KNEE ACTION SHOCKS

Started by Chasmann, January 27, 2012, 07:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasmann

If one of the knee action shocks is leaking should I  have both redone. I'm asking because its 500 for both to be rebuilt and if its not necessary maybe I would only do one.Thanks Charlie M
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

ccp49

I don't see a need to get both rebuilt unless there is some kind of mechanical problem you are experiencing.  Remember what the shock absorber does - it dampens the movement of the suspension; it does not control ride height.  So, if one is leaking and not opeating correctly, at worst I see the suspension characteristics differing between the sides. 
Probably a good idea to eventually get to both, but maybe do one and then save some time and money for a bit before doing the other. 

Dan Barbieri
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Jeff Maltby 4194

Seems high for rebuilding the fronts. Try Five Points Classic Auto Shock in s.calif.

Might also try refilling it motorcycle fork oil with seal swell.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

41caddy

YOU CAN TRY WWW.KANTER.COM THAY SELL REBUILT'S FOR ABOUT $200.00.THAY ALSO SELL DELCO SHOCK FLUID FOR $12.00 FOR 11 OZ. I USE JACK OIL MYSELF THAT WORKS FOR ME

Caddy Wizard

I would recommend Apply Hydraulics in NY.  They did shocks for one of my 49s in the past and did a fine job.  It should cost about $400.  Yes, you should do them both at once, in my opinion.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Chasmann

Art. Once again thanks for responding.Apple is now getting 500.Everyone keeps saying how reputable they are.Its probably worth the little extra.I will do both as you suggested.Also thanks to everyone else who responded.Charlie M.        P.S. Art you never got back to me with the piece that goes under the headlight rim .My question is what  was the quality of the chrome?If in needs to be refinished I might as well keep the one I have.Please let me know.
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN