News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Cadillac starting problem

Started by 2danreed, January 28, 2012, 10:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2danreed

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my starting issue.

I attempted to start my '56 Cadillac today and it wanted to fire up but wouldn't. I turned the key - the cranked a couple of times then the engine fired up, but only for a second. The car normally starts and runs well - its not as if I've had any prior quirks or issues prior to today.

It seems that the car fires up only long enough for the ignition key to go from the START to RUN position. Is it possible there's a problem in the ignition switch?  The root of the problem seems electrical in nature not mechanical.

Any ideas?

Dan
Dan Reed

Coupe

It sounds like the ignition resistor is the problem. It allows 12 volts to the coil when starting then cuts the voltage to 6 when the key is released. If it's the same as a '57 it's located on the firewall toward the passenger side. It should be white ceramic about 2 1/2" long and 3/4" wide.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Dave Shepherd

Run 12v to the coil pos. see if it starts and runs, if so, like " coupe" says back track the voltage to the resistor and ign. switch.

2danreed

To Dave Shepherd:  Where do I run the 12v from?
Dan Reed

J. Gomez

Quote from: 2danreed on January 28, 2012, 12:34:56 PM
To Dave Shepherd:  Where do I run the 12v from?

Dan,

Just clipped a wire with alligator clips across the two resistor terminals one will have a black from the coil with a yellow from the starter solenoid and the second will be have a pink from the ignition switch.

This will isolate the resistor if it is faulty; just leave this long enough to validate the resistor is at fault. If you still having the same issues the problem will be an open “pink” wire from the ignition switch or the ignition switch itself.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

2danreed

Thanks guys - I'll try that out and see what I get.

Dan
Dan Reed

Dan LeBlanc

Someone else here had a similar problem not too long ago.  Turned out to be the solenoid . . .

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php?topic=117183.msg194202#msg194202
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

tbirdtbird

hmmm
doubt solenoid
gotta be the resistor as above.
i see this same Q pop up on the several forums i am on from time to time for sev other marques

57flw

Dan,
Here is a picture of what Coupe, Dave and Jose are referring to.
Hope it helps.
Ken

The red line shows you where to put the jumper.
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood