News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Once upon a time.......

Started by Kurt Kjelgaard, February 03, 2012, 08:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Kjelgaard

Once upon a time........
a foreigner from Europe with a 1957 Cadillac series 75 saw an ad in Hemmings.

The advertiser offered modern steering and front disc brakes as a retrofit kit for the 57 Cad.
The foreigner contacted the him by phone and had a pleasant talk about the parts offered,
agreed on a price and that the seller should start fabricating the parts.
It was also agreed that half should be paid up front and the rest when the parts were ready for shipping to Europe.

Time went slowly by and the foreigner talked to the seller on the phone on several occasions to talk about the progress
(the seller was sort of an old fashioned guy and not good with email etc.) .

Eventually after about 8 months, the parts were ready for shipping and shipping was arranged by the foreigner
out of L.A. to Europe. The balance of the payment was to be drawn via credit card.
Initially the transaction didn’t go through and the seller sent an email asking for another card.
This was given and the money transferred, and the seller promised to initiate the shipping via the foreigners shipping company.
Time passed â€" and nothing happened.
The foreigner contacted the shipping company to inquire about status on the shipment â€" surprisingly they did not know
of any shipment destined to the foreigner.

The foreigner tried to contact the seller â€" always got the answering machine asking for a number to return the call to,
but nobody called back.
Emails weren’t answered either.

The foreigner realized that something was wrong and tried to find out what had happened.
As the seller is a member of CLC the foreigner naturally asked on the Forum if anybody could
help with some sort of information.

At one time a member informed him that the seller had been run over by a truck driven by an
illegal immigrant and hospitalized with severe injuries.
While in hospital, his house and garage was broken into, things were stolen, including computer and telephone stolen.
Then the place was set on fire, apparently to cover up.
Indeed very tragic and would explain a lot of things.

More time went by and the foreigner had contact with fellow members of the CLC who
promised to look into it and perhaps get help from even more members to find out what had happened.
The foreigner was advised to complain to Hemmings, but their “complain service” expires one year
after a purchase, so that was a dead end.

Instead the foreigner tried to get information from the local newspaper about the accident, robbery and fire.
Surprisingly, there is no mentioning of anything anywhere.
Then the foreigner got a tip from a CLC member, that the seller had faked it all and was still operating his business,
although now with an associate to fabricate the parts.

The seller is still advertising in Hemmings with the same parts and the same
telephone number â€" only difference from then is that his web site is closed.

And he is still a member of CLC.

It has now been almost five years and the 2000 USD the foreigner paid must be considered lost.
Draw your own conclusions â€" some people apparently have no conscience when it comes to cheating others.
Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671

R Schroeder

I would have been calling the local police, state attorney, and maybe the FBI. This is fraud, and definitely across state lines.
I would also be posting his name.

Kurt Kjelgaard

Thought about posting his name, but not sure if the Moderator would allow.
Difficult to press charges from Europe - and this foreigner probably saw only
the good in people until it was too late... :-[
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

Gene Beaird

It seems to be a pretty common scam.  Either that, or this guy really gets around.  I've heard similar schemes before on other lists.  This IS wire fraud, though, and you should at least report it.  While I'm sure the US FBI is probably too busy looking for The Next Big Terrorist, you never know what trouble a report can bring upon the perp. 

The US FBI has a tips page:
https://tips.fbi.gov/

It looks like the tip page might be US-Centric, and I'm not sure if you can leave a tip if you don't fill in all the blanks, but you can try.  Failing that, the US FBI does have foreign offices.  You can probably go by one of those offices and file a report.  $2000 is a LOT of money, and no doubt this scumbag has scammed others, possibly for similar amounts.  He should be reported.  You never know if your report is 'the last straw' that gets a knock on this guy's door by some guys in gray suits and sunglasses.  Do it.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Kurt Kjelgaard

I read you guys and I'm really considering what to do.
I'll keep you posted....
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

76eldo

Hi Kurt,

That's a really disturbing story.  I would suggest that you not post the name, but make it available to people by email.

If the guy was near Philly, for less than $2000.00 you could have him run over by a truck, house robbed, and him and his house set on fire.

Asking for the balance when there was no intention to send anything made this a criminal offense and the statute is two years to take legal action.

Terrible.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Tito Sobrinho

Hello Kurt:

I would like to know his name!  Could you send it by email?  Five years is too long to take a legal action, but at least I would know who he is.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Jeff Maltby 4194

RPM

Don Frolich never had a problem addressing these problems via the SS in the 80's.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Bob Kielar

Hello Kurt,
                   I feel your pain. I had the same issue with radio parts from a person on e-bay it never got resolved and the seller is no longer selling under the same name e-bay said there was nothing they could do. If possible I would like the name as well for I am still buying parts for my Cadillac. My e-mail is bdkielar@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Bob
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Kurt Kjelgaard

I agree, I have been too patient with this, but haven't really known what to do before it was too late.
Anyway, I will send name(s) and other details by email to those interested.
It is actually a very "interesting" person we are talking about in other respects as well.
Kurt
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

57flw

Hi Kurt,

You are a very patient man. I could not allow it to drag out for such a long time.
I am sure the CLC members do not like to see this kind of thing happening.
This is a great site and I have received some excellent assistance. It is a shame to see some mongrel hide behind and amoungst the CLC.

I will have my car finished this year and I am sure I will still need to buy something else for it.
Please provide the name of this scumbag.

Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

Kurt Kjelgaard

Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

R Schroeder

Kurt,
Please send his name to me too.
Roy
Email is in my profile to the left.
Thanks

cadillacman

I had this happen to me in the UK too, not for such a large amount.

Its a balancing act given how hard parts are to find sometime paypal seams to always be a good route.
Chrome is my favorite color!

Paul Tesone

I also would appreciate knowing his name . Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 ....tess352@yahoo.com

R Schroeder

Got the name. Thanks Kurt.
Roy

Kurt Kjelgaard

Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

David Greenburg

Kurt:

I'd appreciate the name as well; been considering a disc brake upgrade, and would like to avoid this individual.  Email is in my profile.

Thanks,
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TonyZappone #2624

Kurt:   Post the name on the forum.  Too much of this crap goes on.  Nothing will happen to you, and everyone should know this person's name.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Martin Michaels

Kurt I agree with Tony post the name if not e-mail it to me also at blackjack56flh@aol.com we all must depose of people like that.
Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White