News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1993 Allante Dash

Started by Coupe, February 04, 2012, 12:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe

Looked at a '93 Allante listed on ebay yesterday. Decent Arizona car with just over 40,000 miles. The only issue I have is the first owner added a tonneau cover so he did not  have to put the top up. I can either live the with snaps on the beltline or remove them and repair the holes. The snaps on the dash pad are a different story. Can the dash pad be repaired or does it have to be replaced?
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

D.Yaros

Not speaking with authority, but rather on experience (I own a 92), I would think the dash would have to be replaced.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Coupe

That's what I expected, just thought I'd ask. Are replacements available? The interior is 2 tone. I'd call it taupe on the dash and upper doors and the seats and carpet are called natural (beige).

A couple more questions. The top is not really a power top just the pull downs. Is that correct? Did these cars come with remote door locks?
1957 Coupe de Ville
1993 Allante
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Paul: I'd stay away from the '93 Allante w/ Northstar. 1993 is first year for the Northstar and are well known for head gasket failure which is ungodly expensive to repair. Definitely not a Cadillac for long term ownership IMHO and I'd strongly advise sticking with an Allante w/ 4.5 or 4.9 Liter (1989-1992). Plus eliminate the modification issue as well.

-Just my l'il ole two cents.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

Not all Northstars have problems like that.  The Allante guys that drive 93's wouldn't drive anything else.

There is NO dash "pad" on an Allante.  It's the entire dash that would have to come out including the center console, DIC, and all instruments and switches, vacuum lines for the Climate Control, ductwork, and lots of wiring connectors. It is a real bear of a job.  I have parted a few out, and they are not that easy to remove even when you are trashing the rest of the car and don't care about breaking other items.  This job, to R and R a full dash would frustrate a seasoned Cadillac mechanic, so I would stay away from this unless you have lots of tools and lots of patience.

Either live the the snaps (guy must be a little strange to have done that) or find another 93 Allante.

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Correct- as long as we're talking 2001 and newer Northstars which this isn't. And even then they still have been known to develop head gasket issues- albeit at a lower frequency than before.

There are some 4100s that weren't bad either. To get involved with a known problem child engine that's nearing 20 years old is asking for trouble IMHO. 

25 years in the car business and personally handled over 300 Cadillacs. Only 3 Cadillacs ever had head gasket problems...you guessed it...all 3 of them were Northstars. 

Coupe

Dave, Eric & Brian

Thank-you for your input. I'm going to pass on this one and continue the hunt. I'm in no hurry just want a decent car for weekend fun and club tours.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1993 Allante
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Series75

Eric's comments are off the mark.  I believe my 93 Allante's Northstar is far better than any other I've owned.  I don't hear of many 93 Allantes' with head gasket issues.   

D.Yaros

While some N* engines presented head gasket problems in '93, the problem was eventually resolved.  If this car is still around and running today, that problem has most likely been resolved.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Quote from: Series75 on February 06, 2012, 07:56:59 PM
Eric's comments are off the mark.  I believe my 93 Allante's Northstar is far better than any other I've owned.  I don't hear of many 93 Allantes' with head gasket issues.

Glad to hear your '93 Northstar is giving you good service. Naturally not every single Northstar is going to be troublesome without exception. My advice to our friend there was based not only upon my own experiences, but also on innumerable discussions with owners and Cadillac service managers over the course of nearly two decades thus speak with a modicum of expertise on the subject. There is a considerable cross section from a variety of reliable sources which makes for a strong case of avoiding an older Northstar (for long term ownership)  thus my recommendation to th OP to stick with Allante with either the 4.5 or 4.9 Litre which has a far better track record of dependability and reliability in addition to being a far less costly engine to service should the need arise. 

Series75

yep, you would think that after the 4100 problem we wouldn't have a discussion topic here.   I have 4.5 and 4.9 (MY FAVORITE) great low end torque.  Unfortuntately there's no market for them.  Tom CLC6866

wcoates

Quote from: ericdev on February 04, 2012, 01:16:57 PM
Paul: I'd stay away from the '93 Allante w/ Northstar. 1993 is first year for the Northstar and are well known for head gasket failure which is ungodly expensive to repair. Definitely not a Cadillac for long term ownership IMHO and I'd strongly advise sticking with an Allante w/ 4.5 or 4.9 Liter (1989-1992). Plus eliminate the modification issue as well.

-Just my l'il ole two cents.

Having experienced a '93 N* headgasket problem I can tell you what a nightmare it is.  ( There never was a 4.9 allante)   The 4.5 was bullet-proof.

Series75

And George as previously stated, with a little bit of wrenching the 3 sets of remaned injectors I've installed on 2 STS's and on 91 Eldorado Touring Coupe WORK GREAT!  All 3 cars done for $450.00.  The job is straightforward and uncomplicated.   Plus its a great opportunity to clean up the top of the engine.  Tom CLC#6866

wcoates

Parted out my great looking '93 after head gasket and tranny problems at the same time.  Am looking for the '92 (or '91 -same car) to replace it.  Once again, I definitely want to say there was no 4.9 for the allante.  4.1 for '87-'88, 4.5 for '89-'92 and N* for '93.

Will never have a '93 again.

Dashes should be available from parted out cars but are a bear to replace.  Would call Dick Hussey at Allantesource or Tom Rohner in California.  Have probably close to 100 parts cars between them.  If they don't have it for an Allante -it doesn't exist.