News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need Help : Petronic electronic ignition"

Started by Cadillac1955, February 04, 2012, 05:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac1955

Hello,
I want to mount "Petronix Ignition" in my Cadillac 1955. I wonder if the distributor use positive or negative ground??
Please,any?
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1955
Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1964 "The Apollo"
Cadillac Conv. 1965

TJ Hopland

I cant answer your pos / neg question but I would strongly recommend taking timing readings with a timing light before you do the conversion.  Many people have said that the timing changes by a couple of degrees after the conversion.  If you take before readings it will then be easy to put it back to the original settings if it does not run right after the conversion.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

vicbrincat

I use the Pertronix system in my 1948 Cadillac. In my case it was a negative ground. Of course yours is a 12 volt system, but pretty sure it would be negative ground. Is your battery negative side wired to the frame  or chassis of the car...? if yes..it is a negative ground.

And yes, I highly recommend resetting the timing, but this is not a result of the Pertronix unit per se....but more so the fact that you have to mess around with the distributor. Anytime you adjust, remove the points or  distributor...it is always highly recommended that you re-check the timing.

BTW, I also use a Pertronix ignition system  in a high performance 327 Chev and in the past in an Olds 455 Rocket engine.  In my experience, they are  by far better than any mechanical point system...and they maintain the original look of your engine bay.

Vic Brincat

Cadillac1955

Hello,
Many thanks..  Yes, the battery negative side is wired to the frame...
So, I have negative ground then....
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1955
Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1964 "The Apollo"
Cadillac Conv. 1965

Caddy Wizard

I have used several of the Pertronix modules in old Cadillacs and been very happy.  The main thing is to GET THE RIGHT ONE!  They make 6v and 12v versions, positive and negative ground.  So get the 12v, negative ground version for your 1955.  I don't know the model number off-hand.  The only time I have had any trouble is when someone inadvertantly sold me a 12v version for a 6v car (it didn't work worth a darn).

Right now I have these modules in my 1950 (6v) and 1956 (12v) Cadillacs.  Very good performing units....
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)