News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What is this thing? ('76 DeVille)

Started by mgbeda, February 07, 2012, 03:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hi Folks,

I'm tearing down old Bessie's engine in prep for The Rebuilding.  I wondered what this thing is in the vacuum line from the EGR valve to the carburetor?  Is it a filter?  A check valve?  More important, is it something I should replace or just clean up and use again?  This is a '76 DeVille with a 4 bbl and Ohio emissions.

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

waterzap

EGR Thermal Vacuum Valve. Opens the vacuum to the EGR when the engine is warm, keeps it closed when the engine is cold. Could probably test it by heating it up?
Leesburg, AL

R Schroeder

I believe the thermo valve is on the front of the engine, and opens and closes with the heat of the engine. That line then runs to that gizmo. I believe that is the check valve , or Thermo delay valve.
I am showing the vacuum lines for my 78, but it should be typical of yours.

Roy

It also does not connect to the PVC valve. Sort of looked like you had it hooked up there on the first picture.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

mB,
That is the thermal delay "valve" that is in the line from the carburetor "EGR" port to the EGR itself.  It's purpose is to allow the engine to begin to get warm before it allows vacuum through to the EGR.
I would just clean it up and reinstall it.  When you have your engine running see if the valve opens and lets vacuum through. With a few adjustments a '76 will run perfectly fine without the EGR functioning.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

mgbeda

Thanks, guys!  I will re-use this then.

By the way it was connected to the carb; after I took that off the loose hose flopped over by the PCV valve.  But it was never connected there.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)