News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

6 volt fuel pump '40 LaSalle

Started by csearider, February 13, 2012, 07:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

My Facet 6volt electric fuel pump needs replacing on my '40 LaSalle....located on driver side frame...the mechanical was disconnected years ago............any info on a replacement would be most appreciated

Jim Stamper

Vin;

Do you use a mechanical fuel pump bypass and/or a fuel regulator to limit pressure?

Thanks;   Jim Stamper  CLC#13470

vicbrincat

Jim,

Although my mechanical fuel pump is still installed, fuel does not actually pass through it. The fuel line from the electric  pump goes to a brass "T" on the outlet of the fuel pump. The part of the "T" that fits into the mechanical pump is blocked off..in effect bypassing the mechanical.
Up until recently I did not use a fuel pressure regulator. But having done much reading about how little fuel pressure the Carter carbs actually need, I have now installed an adjustable, inline fuel pressure regulator.
So on the left frame rail, just under the driver seat, I cut the original metal fuel line (5/16"). Installed an inline fuel filter, then installed the 6 volt electric fuel pump followed by a regulator which I currently have set to about 2 psi of pressure. The electric pump will put out as much as 8 psi.

Why did I bother doing all  this?

I have rebuilt my fuel mechanical pump (professionally) 3 times and spent oodles of money rebuilding, shipping, un-installing and re-installing. And each one has leaked enough gas through the upper gasket that I can smell and see fuel dripping down the side of the pump. So I left a rebuilt mechanical fuel pump in place but in essence doing nothing. Once I put the electric pump system in ,, my problems were solved..no more fuel leaks. And if I really wanted to (not that I will), it takes 3 minutes to revert it back to the original set up.

Oh yes..it solves another poblem..I don't have to carry around a spare electric fuel pump. If the electric pump ever failed, I can revert back to the mechanical one on the side of the road by swithing one or two rubber fuel lines.

Vic Brincat

Classic

Airtex E8011 is also available at Rockauto.com and on Amazon (with free shipping).
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Jim Stamper

Vin;

Thank you for your comeback. I haven't had any leakage problems but don't mind relegating the mechanical pump to stand by status though I am going to check out some neat old fuel shut off valves I picked up  somewhere along the line. If they are good they might facilitate bringing the mechanical pump on line.

Thanks again;    Jim

Richardonly

Vic,

I recently had my 6V electric fuel pump relocated from under the hood to under the car. 

I had wanted it as close to the gas tank as possible, but ignoring my instructions, they placed it under the driver's door.  This causes a buzzing while idleing.  My thought was that ALL newer fuel pumps are IN the gas tank, so they are meant to push gas through the lines and not pull it through.  On the other side of the coin, the gas would flow by gravity through the line to the spot under the door anyway.  Is there a reason you placed one in the same spot as they placed mine?

Secondly, you are mentioning a preassure regulator.  What types of problems could exist or present themselves without one?

There are no leaks, but the MPG is horrid.  AVG 8-12 highway if lucky.

Thank you, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

vicbrincat

Hey Richard.

You bring up some good points.

Keep in mind, that the electric fuel pump I highlighted is not an "in tank" pump. It is specifically an in line external pump).  Although such fuel pumps are available (not sure about 6 volts though), they are significantly more effort to install than an in line.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, even the instructions say that these pumps should be installed as close to the fuel tank as possible. I could not find a decent place to mount this in the vicinity of the tank...and thought that access to the pump and  filter would be much easier when mounted on the left frame rail. I hid the filter just behind the body support ..which is probably under therear passenger floor.
I do hear a buzz for about the first 5 seconds of operation, until it pressurizes the fuel line  to the carb...then the buzzing becomes so faint..I can't even hear it...and my car is VERY quiet.

Richard, in all honesty I have never had a problem with the pump located where it is. Yes...I probably could have found a more concealed spot to locate the pump, filter and regulator. And if you got down on your knees and looked under the car you would see it is clearly not original. But now a-days, if anyone got down on their knees to look at the underbelly of my Cadillac, I just envy them as my knees don't work that well any more..;-)

Without the pressure regulator, the carb could easily flood. The float needle and seat were designed to handle relatively low fuel pressures...around 2 to 2.5 psi. If you start pushing a lot more than that, there is a very good chance that the carb will flood or that it will run poorly or way too rich.

Best regards,

Vic Brincat

BTW, I get much better fuel millage than 8-12. my other (very loud) GM get 8-12 highway, but the Cadillac is way better than that. In fact I have often thought to myself how a 4500 lbs+ car gets such wonderful fuel mileage....I bet it is as good as any full size modern SUV....(maybe that's exaggerating....but not a lot!).

vicbrincat

I forgot to add that I used a dense foam pad between the electric fuel pump itself and where it mounts to the frame. I would like to believe that this reduces much of the buzz and vibration transmitted through the chassis.

Vic Brincat

csearider

Thanks for all the info.....especially the Airtex E8011 as it is 6v and may be a good replacement for my Facet. I need to take the Facet off the frame under the door as the id# is on the mounting plate. The Airtex looks like it would similarly bolt to the frame also without modification.....In regards to a regulator, there is not one, just the Facet pump.
I have a question on existing pump. I restored the tank so all the fuel was removed. Pump worked fine before removal but is not pulling fuel now. Do these pumps need priming?..and if so how are they primed?

buicksplus

I use a Carter rotary on my 40 LaSalle, mounted next to the tank.  This pump is available from NAPA, but is rather expensive, around $125.  It is noisy and draws about 8 amps all the time.  But, it has a rubber mount that cuts the buzzing considerably. 

After much experimentation, I set my system up similar to Vic's. My fuel lines don't go anywhere near the mechanical pump.  My car runs entirely on the rotary pump.  This has worked best for me.  I found either parallel or series hookups with the mechanical pump led to surging and power loss on hot days.    The car is still hard to start with a hot engine, but I have learned to live with that.   It runs great once underway after the fuel cools off the carburetor.

I use no regulator, the pump puts about 5psi at the carb, and the carb handles that pressure easily.

Bill
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700