News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Flow pattern of the Transmission cooler lines for 1962

Started by CarlSpackler, February 20, 2012, 03:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlSpackler

Can anyone confirm the routing and flow pattern of the Transmission cooler lines for 1962 ?

The general shop manual (figure 6-1)  differs from a transmission service manual I have. Also, figure 6-27 in manual also appears to reverse the outlet and inlet at transmission creating further confusion. My engine is disassembled so I can not test flow at the ports.

From the shop manual figure 6-1:

Outflow lower transmission cooler port > In passenger side low radiator cooler > Out driver side low radiator cooler > Inlet at upper cooler port transmission

Anyone have a stock set up to compare?

Does it actually matter which side the cooler lines enter or leave the radiator?

Thanks
60th Anniversary 1962 Eldorado Biarritz

Gunga Galunga

Gene Beaird

I'll preface this with saying I don't own an early-60's Cadillac, but have spent some time with mid-60's onward GMs.  I am pretty confident that the inlet and outlet on the radiator won't matter.  It's basically a flattened tube that runs through the bottom of the radiator.  There's no thermostat inside the radiator to open or close, like in some late-model oil coolers. 

I'd think that if you were running solid steel line, it'd be pretty obvious which line goes where on the transmission, but again, I don't have one of those cars to look at.  If you're running transmission hose, I can see where the confusion would be. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

CarlSpackler

The reason I ask is because new reproduction  lines (Inline Tube) that are suppose to be as stock seem to best fit opposite to what my original lines were hooked up - though my originals were deformed and not the same as the new lines so I was not certain if they were correct or not, or if the new lines were shaped correctly. The new lines have complex bends so the positioning is not obvious but the best fit is opposite the manual.

60th Anniversary 1962 Eldorado Biarritz

Gunga Galunga