News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 vacuum pump repair?

Started by PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192, February 20, 2012, 02:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I have looked at past posts on this subject - I'm talking about the integral vacuum pump, bolted on to the oil pump in my 54 CDV. Mine is badly scored - my question is - does this affect its performance greatly or not? To rebuild it it will need boring out and sleeving I take it? or could it just be bored out a bit and a longer spring put behind the vanes?
Phil

Walter Youshock

Not sure about rebuilding it but all it is is an auxiliary vacuum supply for the wipers.  It should have no bearing on how the car runs.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Thanks Walter, I know that it is for the wipers when manifold pressure drops - but by performance I meant how it performs as a vacuum pump !
Phil

Walter Youshock

The vacuum pumps in the oil pump came about after they removed it from the fuel (dual-action) pump.  There should be a vacuum manifold on the cowl in front of the wiper motor.  This manifold has a rubber valve designed to "switch" between highest vacuum sources--manifold under normal load and pump under extreme acceleration.  These diaphragms dried out no longer kept vacuum  to the proper levels.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Phil,

I, as always, am confused. Generally the veins that spin in the vacuum attachment wear and thus one looses vacuum. Not sure what you want to bore out and sleeve?

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Roger Zimmermann

Phil, if you bore the pump it will not work anymore as the space between the wall and the rotor will be too large. It must be resleeved! I did that on my 3 cars with more or less good results.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Ok, Roger gets what I am on about and I did see his post about this before - thanks for explaining that a rebore only won't work, sleeving is the way to go. I do know that the pump is only used when the manifold pressure drops too low, this is so the wipers carry on working when accelarating. To answer John - both the vanes and the walls that they contact are badly scored, so it looks like I will have to have the casting bored out and sleeved and the vanes refaced - then I should have an operating pump !
Thanks guys,
Phil