News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Proportioning valve, master cylinder rebuild, 76 DeVille

Started by mgbeda, February 24, 2012, 02:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hi Folks,

I'm almost done tearing down old Bessie and am starting to work on fixing / replacing everything in preparation for putting her back together.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get my Master Cylinder, Brake Booster, and Proportioning valve rebuilt?  I would rather not take a chance with replacement parts.

Is the proportioning valve something that should be rebuilt?  I'm not aware of it having problems aside from being 36 years old.

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Dave Shepherd

Proportioning valves, in general are not rebuildable, for new try Napa or Rockauto.  I would suggest new or reman replacements from the same companies, pretty sure they are available.

EAM 17806

I own a 76 Coupe de Ville and I suggest you do not try to rebuilt the master cylinder or booster, instead just buy new or already rebuilt ones done by AC DELCO, WAGNER or BENDIX.  They are not difficult to obtain. This way you know you will have good ones on the car, and try to keep away from Chinese new or rebuilts.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Glen

The problem is the quality of parts.  If the master cylinder is rebuilt in China I would question the safety of them.  If you are a decent mechanic and can get good quality rebuild parts you could do the job with good results. 

I trust my skills.  Not so much the skills of unknown re-builders. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104